Monadenium ritchei not growing new leaves

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
teo

Monadenium ritchei not growing new leaves

Post by teo »

I have a Monadenium ritchei that's lost it's leaves last winter (which is what it's supposed to do) - but it has not grown any new this year - although it has flowered and grown. I keep it indoor at all times in a fairly warm temp (central heating) - since it's a Euphorbia (sort of..) and not supposed to tolerate low temps like most cacti. What is required to induce it to grow new leaves (in the spring)?
DSC_0879-c.JPG
DSC_0879-c.JPG (37.78 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
DSC_1215-c.JPG
DSC_1215-c.JPG (35.3 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
DSC_1542-c.JPG
DSC_1542-c.JPG (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
Aiko

Re: Monadenium ritchei not growing new leaves

Post by Aiko »

Mine does the same, for a few years now. Hardly produces leaves (but occasionally does flower). Lack of sunlight cannot be the reason for it. Maybe the soil? I should repot it...
coldcactusmontreal

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

They seem rather temper-mental in terms of leaves. Mine put out some leaves this summer, I think it was in the middle of it. But other than that it doesn't make much. I have a friend who's doesn't make any at all. I kind of assumed it was because my friend isn't much of a fertilizer user. Maybe heat?
teo

Post by teo »

I have now put it in my over-wintering spot (a glazed-in balcony with some added heat) where the temp should not go under 7C in winter. We will see in spring...
cjbaker

Post by cjbaker »

Mine put out leaves every year except this past one, when I drastically increased its sunlight and decreased its water. It just put out flowers this summer, no leaves, and the bodies turned reddish purple. Then I brought it into partial shade around September and it grew several leaves. They have all dried up now. My guess is that it grows leaves when it has partial shade and enough water.
Craig [my pictures]