what's going on with my Frithia pulchra?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tomo

what's going on with my Frithia pulchra?

Post by tomo »

I bought this Frithia pulchra back in August, the first pic shows what it looked like when I first got it (I removed that one odd looking stem with the spots before planting it)

The second photo shows it now...It's been about two months and it's not looking great--it seems to be shriveling up? I gave it a good drink about a week ago, but it's still not looking too happy. What do I need to do? Thanks in advance!
Attachments
early August 2015
early August 2015
Frithia pulchra August 2015 1.jpg (61.74 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
late September 2015
late September 2015
Frithia pulchra Sept 2015.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
iann

Re: what's going on with my Frithia pulchra?

Post by iann »

Looks thirsty. Water it more. I imagine it is still warm where you are. If it collapses into mush it was dead anyway. Frithia aren't Lithops, they like regular water in summer. Of course if it has only been in the pot for a few weeks then it might not have properly established roots. While Frithia develop fairly extensive roots, that one looks to be over-potted. Regular water is good, but constantly sitting in a pot that it can't suck dry will eventually lead to trouble. Try regular light watering or even heavy spraying, that doesn't soak the pot but gives those small roots something.

The white marks aren't very pretty but they don't look fatal. Some minor damage when the leaves were developing, or perhaps even a bit of scorching. Nothing that should kill the plant unless its some strange disease I haven't seen before.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

I see! I was following the lithop watering approach (i.e., almost never, lol) so that's very interesting (and helpful!) to learn that Frithia need more water in summer. And you're right, here in Florida, we are still extremely hot and humid, no sign of Fall yet. :D I'll try watering it about once a week, as long as the temps. stay this warm. (and then I guess I should back off as the weather turns a bit cooler?) I'm also going to look for a smaller pot to repot it soon, thanks for suggesting that. Good to know the white spots probably aren't anything I need to worry about. Thanks so much as always, Ian! :D
tomo

Post by tomo »

update: I repotted it in a much smaller pot, waited a bit for it to adjust, then resumed watering, but nothing seemed to help. I guess it was already too late. It eventually withered away completely, stem by stem, within a few weeks. I'm wondering if those spots might have been a disease or something after all? (or my mistake of too big a pot/not enough water). Ah well. I'll know for next time.

Just thought I'd post an update, and if anyone has any info about those spots or has seen them before, please post!