Haworthia problem

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
rootsandsprouts

Haworthia problem

Post by rootsandsprouts »

Hi! I have a problem taking care of my haworthia cooperi x obtusa and haworthia obtusa. I water them once in 2 weeks and put them under a shade but they still receive filtered sunlight in the morning. Today when i checked on them, some roots were rotten. How much water do they need and how often? I live in a country with tropical climate. Thanks!
iann

Re: Haworthia problem

Post by iann »

Not the easiest plants in a tropical climate. You might want to water them less, or hardly at all, when it is hot and humid. Then look to water if they become more active when (if!) it is cooler and less humid. Generally, don't water to a timetable. Don't water until the soil is dry from the previous time, then don't *necessarily* water unless the plant actually needs it. H. obtusa leaves will soften as it loses water, so don't water if it is already hard.

Lastly, are they actually in trouble? Haworthias have thick fleshy roots and some of these will die and be shed naturally. This isn't necessarily a problem, although sitting the plant in wet soil for long periods when it is happening might lead to problems.
--ian
rootsandsprouts

Re: Haworthia problem

Post by rootsandsprouts »

iann wrote:Not the easiest plants in a tropical climate. You might want to water them less, or hardly at all, when it is hot and humid. Then look to water if they become more active when (if!) it is cooler and less humid. Generally, don't water to a timetable. Don't water until the soil is dry from the previous time, then don't *necessarily* water unless the plant actually needs it. H. obtusa leaves will soften as it loses water, so don't water if it is already hard.

Lastly, are they actually in trouble? Haworthias have thick fleshy roots and some of these will die and be shed naturally. This isn't necessarily a problem, although sitting the plant in wet soil for long periods when it is happening might lead to problems.
Thank you very much, i think i overwatered. The soil didnt dry up quickly.