Echeveria elegans indoor wintering tips, please

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
graffiti

Echeveria elegans indoor wintering tips, please

Post by graffiti »

Greetings folks.

Last year, my E. elegans had issues with etiolation. Basically, the window I had it in was not sunny enough. I cut it back this spring and it's beautiful now, having been in about 60% afternoon sun for several months.

Looking around for information about wintering my cacti, I found that they need to be pretty cool and very dry to flower well the next spring, something I didn't know until I started reading here.

I'm wondering if Echeveria would benefit from similar treatment and if that might help with the etiolation issues I experienced last winter. But I'm also concerned I'll kill it if it gets down into the 40s like my cacti will this year (my bedroom is a southern exposure, and 100% unheated, so that's where I'll be wintering my cacti). My other tropical plants (Justicia brandegeana, Philodendron bipinnatifidum and Aloe vera for example) stay in the living room where it's actually warm for the winter.

Any advice would be appreciated.
esp_imaging

Re: Echeveria elegans indoor wintering tips, please

Post by esp_imaging »

Dry, bright and cool / cold, but frost free is ideal.
They are pretty hard to kill really, cold and wet is the lethal combination.
I don't expect a very light frost would concern it if its totally dry.
They get a bit leggy with age even if grown well, cutting them back and rerooting or planting the offsets makes for nicer clumps than trying to grow a specimen plant.
If cold and dry they don't even need much light, they just stop growing, healthy growth and flowering will happen anyway if returned to warmth, light and appropriate watering in spring.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
iann

Post by iann »

The Mexican Echeverias are all fully frost-hardy. Maybe not outdoors in a Connecticut winter, but 40F is barely even cool enough for them. 20F is no problem for a dry one. Outside might be better for them in summer, perhaps protected from the heaviest rain.
--ian
graffiti

Post by graffiti »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm eventually going to post a list of succulents here to make sure the ones that need cold get it and the ones that don't stay warm through the winter. I'm thinking the vast majority of my succulent collection will need cool temps but I want to be 100% sure.