Crassula "Buddha's Temple" sun and care?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
pulp

Crassula "Buddha's Temple" sun and care?

Post by pulp »

Hey! I got my Buddha's Temple a couple of months ago in the mail (survived a long trip!). It's in a north-northwest window that only gets a slight bit of direct sun before the sun sets. It's been leaning towards the window so maybe it needs more sun? I took pictures of it yesterday though and it looks like there's a brownish tint to some leaves so I'm scared it might have gotten a burn. I'll add photos in attachment. How much water does it require in the summer/how to tell it's thirsty? My other crassula shrivel up a bit but this one doesn't have leaves like they do. How to best acclimatize it to direct sun? I have a south-southeast window that has sun most of the morning and a west-southwest window that has sun from early mid-day until it sets this time of year. When and how is it ok to split the new ones growing from the big plant? Put them in medium right away like my other crassulas? They grow no matter how I misuse them. :D I did read at one site that it requires full direct sun then another that stated it does not want full sun.

Anna
Attachments
2015-07-22 19.08.00.jpg
2015-07-22 19.08.00.jpg (27.33 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
2015-07-22 19.07.21.jpg
2015-07-22 19.07.21.jpg (32.21 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
greenknight

Re: Crassula "Buddha's Temple" sun and care?

Post by greenknight »

Looks like it could use a little more light. Brown color on the leaf edges is apparently normal. It may sunburn in hot summer sun, according to some sources - I wouldn't put it where it gets sun all afternoon, morning sun would be safer. If there's some way you could put it a few feet away from the window and gradually move it closer, that would work, otherwise put it in the sun for short periods at first. Watering needs are similar to other Crassulas, and cuttings shouldn't be any more difficult either - easy plant to grow. See - http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/CRASSU ... temple.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
iann

Post by iann »

Sun, yes. Care, go easy on that. Plants in windows tend to lean even if they are getting enough sun, because the back side inevitably isn't getting enough light.
--ian
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Well, yes - it's a Crassula, slower-growing than some but still a low-care plant. The leaning isn't significant, the fact that it's not as compact as it should be is what tells you it needs more light.

Separate the offsets whenever you think they're big enough - early in the growing season is best, but it's not critical. Use a sharp knife to carefully separate them from the main plant, unless they pull off easily. Might be easier to take the plant out of its pot to do this.
pulp

Post by pulp »

Thank you all! I put it in another window but have a paper in front where it sits so it can adjust. Isn't compact enough? The thicker growth has occured here, was quite thin when I got it. Glad to hear that it shouldnt be too difficult to care for, went through quite a lot of trouble to get it.
forests-of-fire

Post by forests-of-fire »

I've noticed that my taller plants tend to lean towards the light. I've tested them by turning them around and they start pointing back towards the light very quickly. I think it's a pretty normal plant process called phototropism. It's kind of neat to see -- I can go into the kitchen to get something after a couple hours and notice that the plants have moved a few more degrees towards the sun. So I wouldn't (personally) worry too much if I notice the plants pointing towards the light.

Of course, I'm assuming that succulents and cacti both are capable of phototropism. I'm a huge novice, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

forests-of-fire wrote:I've noticed that my taller plants tend to lean towards the light. I've tested them by turning them around and they start pointing back towards the light very quickly. I think it's a pretty normal plant process called phototropism. It's kind of neat to see -- I can go into the kitchen to get something after a couple hours and notice that the plants have moved a few more degrees towards the sun. So I wouldn't (personally) worry too much if I notice the plants pointing towards the light.

Of course, I'm assuming that succulents and cacti both are capable of phototropism. I'm a huge novice, so I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Cacti definitely are but don't forget they do not get rotated when in the wild, the side facing the sun will get used to the higher level of light and vice versa. If you rotate the plant to compensate the lean you could end up scorching the side not used to the light.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
forests-of-fire

Post by forests-of-fire »

Oh, good point. I'll keep that in mind!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Using paper for shading is a good approach - smart thinking.

Whoever you got it from must have been growing it at even lower light levels. Look at the ones at the link I provided - they're fatter, the leaves are packed closer together and are darker green with brown edges.