Need help with my Haworthia

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
moonchild

Need help with my Haworthia

Post by moonchild »

Hi there! I purchased this Haworthia last year and kept it indoors in a windowsill for a few months. When the weather started to warm up here in California, I moved it outside in bright shade. It didn't look so happy, so I moved it in full shade with dappled sunlight in the evenings. Its growths have started to turn red and one has shriveled! Is this sunburn, and should I just keep this plant in full shade? Did I water it too much or too little? Thanks everyone.
Attachments
tumblr_nqog5x9Ael1r3q8s0o3_1280.jpg
tumblr_nqog5x9Ael1r3q8s0o3_1280.jpg (40.68 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
tumblr_nqog5x9Ael1r3q8s0o2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nqog5x9Ael1r3q8s0o2_1280.jpg (41.9 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
tumblr_nqog5x9Ael1r3q8s0o1_1280.jpg
tumblr_nqog5x9Ael1r3q8s0o1_1280.jpg (49.57 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Saxicola

Re: Need help with my Haworthia

Post by Saxicola »

Haworthias are winter growers that do best outdoors year round in California. So I'd highly recommend keeping it outside next winter. It might be too much sun. The center leaves of the plant look fine so I'm not worried. Going from indoors to any sun at all can cause burn. It has to be acclimated slowly. However, Haworthias in general prefer shade at least in the afternoon. So long term it may not require full shade, but it can do well in it if it is bright shade. Otherwise acclimate it to a morning sun afternoon shade situation.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed. It looks a bit stretched out, like it wasn't getting quite enough light where it's been. Abruptly exposing it to dappled sun caused some stress - but it's in no danger.
Spence :mrgreen:
moonchild

Post by moonchild »

Thank you both so much! I'm going to go slower with introducing light from now on, and hopefully that makes a difference and its appearance improves as it grows. :D