My Large Lithops

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Cactibee

My Large Lithops

Post by Cactibee »

I have owned this lithops plant for nearly 2 years now. There are two large 'heads' on the plant currently and has been that way since I bought it. It has new growth coming through at the moment and the leaves are parting. Although it is healthy and in a suitable space in my house it doesn't seem to be multiplying at all. Just curious if it needed to reach a certain size before this happens. This hasn't happened with any of my other lithops before.
Thank you

:)
iann

Re: My Large Lithops

Post by iann »

Do you know the species? They vary. Some will probably never even get to two heads. Does it flower every year?
--ian
Cactibee

Post by Cactibee »

I believe that it is a Lithops aucampiae. Yes it does flower each year. thank you for replying.
iann

Post by iann »

L. aucampiae can form good-sized clumps but only slowly. They get to two heads fairly quickly and then take their time. They are about the biggest heads of any Lithops though! It is obviously fairly happy and I don't think there is anything to worry about. You could fertilise if it hasn't been repotted for a few years. Seems a little late to be just showing new leaves now. Maybe it doesn't get enough sun and is always playing catch-up?
--ian
Cactibee

Post by Cactibee »

thank you for the information on it. It seemed a little unhappy when I bought it so I don't know if that affected its growing at all. It is in a sunny spot that gets sunlight from around 11am to 6/7pm. would it need more than that?
iann

Post by iann »

Cactibee wrote:thank you for the information on it. It seemed a little unhappy when I bought it so I don't know if that affected its growing at all. It is in a sunny spot that gets sunlight from around 11am to 6/7pm. would it need more than that?
Depends if you live in Iceland or Arizona ;)
--ian
Cactibee

Post by Cactibee »

Haha okay. England :)