what's wrong with my anacampseros rufescens "sunrise"?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tomo

what's wrong with my anacampseros rufescens "sunrise"?

Post by tomo »

Everything, from the looks of it. :idea: It's been looking a bit odd, and as I was inspecting it today, one of the stems just came out of the dirt in my hand. I ended up checking the whole thing and there are no roots. Like ppfttt. Nada. Gone. I've done a bit of research and I'm guessing I over-watered? I watered about once a week, and the soil was damp, which I thought succulents need slightly damp soil? Or should I let it dry completely between watering? I also found what appears to be a lizard egg in the soil, great. #-o

So in this photo I gave it fresh grit, a bit of cacti soil, and plopped all the rootless stems back in the pot. Is that the best course of action? Or are they just going to die? Also, what can I do to make it look less weedy, and more colorful--more direct sun? I need help with this one. :( Thanks in advance!
Attachments
It's a disaster!
It's a disaster!
Anacampseros rufescens Sunrise June 2015.jpg (130.96 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
Here's what it looked like back in March
Here's what it looked like back in March
Anacampseros rufescens Sunrise March 2015 roots.jpg (21.6 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
jmoney

Re: what's wrong with my anacampseros rufescens "sunrise"?

Post by jmoney »

I'm no vet but I'd get rid of any dead or near dead portions and try to root the good portions. Not all is lost. You can root the plant but it will take some patience.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

The biggest problem is it doesn't have nearly enough light. To be that stretched just since March suggests it is in nearly dark conditions.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yes, badly etiolated. I would cut it way back, gradually give it stronger light.

You can make a bunch of cuttings out of those stretched-out stems - so there is an upside to this!
Spence :mrgreen:
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, etiolated, I see. I'll cut it back and move it gradually to brighter light and hope I can save it. Can I just cut the stems anywhere and replant them? I really love the color variation and would love to get it back to that. :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's said to be easy to grow from stem cuttings. Yes, cut them to whatever length look reasonable. Leave them in a warm place out of direct sun for about a week for the cuts to heal, then plant them.

You should let it get dry between waterings. See - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/70947/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
jmoney

Post by jmoney »

You can pretty much cut the plant off wherever you'd like and root it. You can also root individual leaves but I would not recommend that in this situation.
Budding cactus enthusiast

Twitter: jmoneypn
Instagram: jmoneypn