Succulent Browning around Leaves and Stem?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Storm

Succulent Browning around Leaves and Stem?

Post by Storm »

Hello all! :D

I've had this lovely green succulent for just over a month now, and It's getting close to flowering... however it developed some brown marks and damage around it's leaves and stem very soon after I received it... and I was wondering if this could have been caused by over watering or by something else? The new growth is fine and shows no browning, but I don't want to keep making the same mistake I'm clearly making now and risk damaging the new growth:

I'm assuming that it's a permanent colour change and won't go back to green no matter what I do... but can anyone give me any advice on what I can do to avoid the new leaves going the same way? I was watering it once a week until the soil was damp (but not overly wet) and lightly spraying the leaves lightly with a spray bottle mid-week.

Thank you so much for your time and help! :)
iann

Re: Succulent Browning around Leaves and Stem?

Post by iann »

That looks like some sort of physical damage. It won't heal, in fact it is probably healed already and you're left with the scar. Possibly the leaves got a bit burned. Seems strange, but it is entirely possible to scorch these plants in strong sun. Or maybe just got bashed a bit.

You can and should water these. In summer anyway. Yours doesn't look thirsty but don't be afraid to drench it. Then wait until it dries out.
--ian
Saxicola

Re: Succulent Browning around Leaves and Stem?

Post by Saxicola »

Ian gave good advice. I just wanted to add that while the leaves won't heal any more than it already has, the overall plant will effectively heal in time as new leaves are produced and these old ones wither away. Even by the end of the summer it will look a lot better most likely. I mention this to contrast it with a cactus where once it is scarred you are stuck with it for life!
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants