new anacampseros rufescens "sunrise" falling over?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tomo

new anacampseros rufescens "sunrise" falling over?

Post by tomo »

I recently purchased this anacampseros rufescens "sunrise" and when I repotted it today, I noticed that it can't stand upright. I've propped it up with a couple of sticks and I'm hoping once it settles into the new pot, it will rebound...right? Also, since I repotted today, when I should I first water it? I've read that you can water a repotted succulent the next day, is that true? Thanks in advance! :D
Attachments
anacampseros rufescens sunrise.jpg
anacampseros rufescens sunrise.jpg (47.66 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
iann

Re: new anacampseros rufescens "sunrise" falling over?

Post by iann »

More sun and less rich soil will help, but in cultivation this is a pretty floppy plant. You can probably water these the next day, they are bullet-proof, but on the whole I wouldn't recommend it for succulents. Watering it will just make it grow more and ultimately be even floppier. On the plus side the more it grows the more it will flower.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the reply, Ian! I watered it a few days after repotting and it did seem to perk up some. :) Glad to know it's supposed to be somewhat floppy, lol ...I was afraid something was really wrong with it that was making it lean over. I did notice one or two small spots on a few of the leaves but I'm keeping an eye on it. I really love the deep purple/reddish color of the leaves, can't wait to see what it looks like when it blooms! Thanks again for the advice! :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's a mat-forming plant, it's not going to stand up tall. It's fine.
Spence :mrgreen:
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thanks for the reply greenknight. Glad to know it's a mat-forming plant! It's looking better now--after a couple of waterings, it's now growing like the proverbial weed...each stem has shot out a new growth about 2-3 inches long, plus another stem sprouted up from no where almost over night, so I seem to have been worried for nothing. :lol:
iann

Post by iann »

Particularly long new stems are likely to be flower shoots. The flowers are nice but very short-lived. Watch out for them in late afternoon on a nice hot day.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

Wow! Cool, thanks for the tip! I will keep my eyes peeled. :D