1st Succulent - Echinopsis Pachanoi (San Pedro)

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
davejames11

1st Succulent - Echinopsis Pachanoi (San Pedro)

Post by davejames11 »

Hey everyone,
This is my first post and first cactus I have ever owned so be patient. But anyways I received a San Pedro cactus from a friend of mine, and I have no idea how to maintain. Any knowledge you have on maintenance would be greatly appreciated. Below I have linked some pics of my cactus.
Attachments
IMG_2168.JPG
IMG_2168.JPG (36.34 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_2169.JPG
IMG_2169.JPG (40.07 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_2170.JPG
IMG_2170.JPG (26.18 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
iann

Re: 1st Succulent - Echinopsis Pachanoi (San Pedro)

Post by iann »

Is it potted in pure perlite, or is that just a topping? This is a fairly vigorous cactus which will grow quickly in the right conditions. The right conditions are warm (most people would call it hot!), good amounts of sun, and regular water (with fertiliser if that is all perlite). Like most cacti, when it is cloudy or cool, keep it dry.

Your plant, either now or before you got it, is etiolating a little. It isn't receiving enough sun but it is still growing and so it is producing thin pale new growth. Aim to keep it cooler until you can provide direct sunlight, and keep it dry, to discourage growth.
--ian
davejames11

Post by davejames11 »

Okay great, so I have cactus in the window sill giving it maximum light with a colder temp because it is winter. The cutting is in complete perlite, however I do have cactus soil composed of sphagnum peat moss, sand and compost. Should I plant the cactus in soil and top it off with perlite?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Most "cactus soil" sold contains way too much peat, which holds too much water and is hard to re-wet when it dries out. If you mix that cactus soil 50/50 with perlite (or other coarse mineral material) that would probably be about right. See - http://www.cactiguide.com/article/?article=article8.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, for more info go to the "Cultivation" forum.
Spence :mrgreen: