winter watering for lithops?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tomo

winter watering for lithops?

Post by tomo »

Hi everyone! I bought my first lithop online about a month ago. At first, I watered it only when the soil looked dry--but then I started doing some research about the watering schedules for lithops, and read some conflicting info re: watering in the winter. Some articles say a little water in winter, some say NO water in winter. It sounds like there's a lot of trial and error with lithops and their watering schedules, but since this is my first one, I don't want to mess it up. Also I think the two "leaves" (for lack of a better term) are starting to split at the top? Does that mean I should stop watering until they completely separate?

Any tips would me much appreciated! Oh, I live in Florida, and the lithop is currently in a West facing windowsill, if that helps.
Thanks! :)
Attachments
Lithop Jan 2015.jpg
Lithop Jan 2015.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
KittieKAT

Re: winter watering for lithops?

Post by KittieKAT »

I usually stop watering my Lithops around October or when the flower finally dies off and then i don't water again until after the new leaves have turned into paper shells, then i literally water them very sparingly when the soil is dry or they start to look thirsty
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Id also suggest using a mix that's more course such as pure pumice or pumice and turface or lava stone and perlite they don't do good in some soil mixtures that don't dry fast
iann

Post by iann »

Lithops need very little water in winter. In Europe and the northern states, the closest approximation to what they actually need is "none" :) In Florida it might be "some". Or it might be none if your humidity turns out to be more important than your sun. Either way, it doesn't need any water now. Wait for the new leaves, then judge when to start watering. The new leaves should come in pretty fast with your winter warmth and a bit of sun, but you never quite know where a new plant is up to.

The soil isn't ideal. Too much peat, not enough perlite. Clay pots aren't really suited to most Lithops. They give a safety net to beginners with the wrong soil an addiction to the watering can, but read this thread. Lithops are not keen on peat, or really on any organic material beyond a tiny fraction, but whatever you use as the base of your mix it should be mostly coarse material like grit, pumice, fired clay granules, etc. You can use perlite if you like, but it is pretty horrendous stuff to deal with in quantity. The other beginner mistake is to water with a thimble. You might think that it is safer than actually getting all the soil wet, but teasing a Lithops will just cause it to turn on you and one day it will be gone.

P.S. You know it is Lithops lesliei, right?
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

KittieKat and Ian, thank you both for the excellent advice! I'll wait for the new leaves and keep an eye on it before watering.

I appreciate the info also re: the soil mix and clay pot. This is what the little guy was shipped in, and I thought the soil looked a bit...odd? But wasn't sure. (and there seems to be some sort of mineral deposit on the sides?) I'll definitely change the soil and use a non-clay pot.

I bought some soil for cacti & succulents and I was thinking of mixing it half and half with something like crushed oyster shells, would that work?

Another question, when would be the best time to repot? now, while it's "resting" in the winter, or later on?

Wow, so glad to hear about the beginner's mistake re: watering with a thimble! Actually, that's what I was thinking of doing before I posted here, so I'm really glad to learn that wouldn't work with lithops!

And Ian, thanks for the name, I did not know it's a lesliei, I'm so glad to know that! I looked it up online and looks like they have some pretty flowers. :)

Thanks again so much for all the advice, much appreciated! :D
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Watering with a thimble? That's news to me lol! I never knew that one iann!!
I.don't have any expirence with crushed oyster shells, I've had good result with pumice, lava,turface, pearl stone (mixed with perlite) so hopefully someone can chime in on that. I dont use stuff that could puncture the skin like sharp pointed rocks...etc..its harder to find material in my town cause no one sells pumice and what i listed i usually have to order on eBay which is a pain shipping stones very expensive! Cause its heavy!! - it is a very nice looking L. Lesliei if i must say where did u order it from if i may ask? Ebay?
Right now since its root hairs have died down to the taproot and its sleeping and doesn't have to be watered is the best time, usually for me to repot. Just remove all theold soil from the root ball don't worry if some of the finer roots break off they will grow back when watering commences. And just bury it up to the lime green part so just a little bit of the darker body is showing outta the soil and let it be. It will change skins and maybe flower this year depending on its age.
Good luck hun
iann

Post by iann »

I wouldn't recommend crushed oyster shells. They are strongly alkaline and quite soluble. That would be bad news for many plants. Lithops are quite tolerant about such things, but no point abusing them deliberately. Get some form of inert coarse material instead.

You can repot now if you want, or later. Doesn't much matter what soil it is in until you start watering.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

Thank you both for the comments re: crushed oyster shells. I hadn't thought about how they might puncture the lithop, yikes! :shock: I looked online and just ordered a mix of lava/pumice/turface. Also good to know about repotting, I think I'll go ahead and do that when the mix arrives.

And when I repot, I should cover the lime green part, so about half of the lithop is in the soil, and half of it is above the soil, is that right?

KittieKat, I ordered the lithop from ebay, a seller named hirtsgardens (they're out of Ohio). I wasn't sure what I would get, since the photo wasn't of the exact one I was buying, and I think the description said the lithop selection varies depending on the season, but I was really happy with the one I got. I think it's so cute, and I really wanted a green one! :D

Thanks again for the helpful advice! I'll probably have more questions along the way, lol. :wink:
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Here's the best example i can show u on how to bury it in the soil, and yes hirtsgarden has a nice bunch ofplants at times glad u got exactly what u wanted from them!! good luck hun wish u the best with yr New lithops!!
Attachments
Source: mrbrownthumb.com
Source: mrbrownthumb.com
images-4.jpeg (6.89 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
iann

Post by iann »

I bury only the roots of my Lithops in the soil (since I use a mix with soil in it) and then virtually to the top of the leaves (perhaps to the base of the fissure is a good guideline) in grit.

Certainly you can grow them partially buried in soil (my seedlings do it all by themselves without problems) but you run a risk that a damaged portion of a leaf sits in damp soil and rots. Or you can grow them hardly buried at all, but I think that just looks weird. If you bury them too deep then they will either disappear in summer (not harmful, but may not be desirable if you like to enjoy your plants) or they may etiolate to reach the surface.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I like mine buried just enough to keep them compact and their little butt shaped bodies poking outta the soil
I would say where the natural color line is a lighter green should show just a bit outta the soil, depending on yr medium of course and yr area that u live cause they like to breath a bit. But i don't like just the roots buried they topple over or start to stretch a bit, atleast where i am.
But I've seen people leave them mostly uncovered and some cover them until just the top is seen with the rest under the soil. But I'm not to fancy on having the body exposed to standing water for long periods, i save a lithops that that Happened to and it was changing its Skin and the new skin turned to paper when it dried waay to early so the lithop is stunted. I'm hoping when i resume watering it will plump up instead of looking so sad and wrinkly
iann

Post by iann »

The colour change only indicates the depth it was planted at before. Lithops in the dark are all green. Lithops in the light are usually coloured.
--ian
tomo

Post by tomo »

Wow, very interesting about how deep lithops should be planted. That's good to know, the photo and information are both very helpful for when I repot. So I guess this guy might be a little too far out of the pot? When it arrived in the mail, the lithop had been knocked loose out of his soil/pot during shipping, so maybe he was originally planted a bit deeper. I've been a bit concerned he's been sort of leaning to one side, so repotting it deeper will fix that.

Ian, I don't quite understand about the color change...what does that mean, lithops in the light are usually colored? (sorry! total beginner question!) :) I'm curious, does that indicate something, like maybe my lithop needs more or less light?

Also, any thoughts on topsoil or pebbles for dressing? Good or bad idea?

Thanks again, I'm learning so much here, really appreciate you both taking the time to answer my questions! :D
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I was only giving a way for tomo to kno what i was taking about by using the colors they change due to light iann :) , the line will change as u repott it to the depth u Desire tomo. Thoe i do have a very strange lithop that insists on staying lime green no matter how much direct light i give it...weird....
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Top soil or pebbles aren't needed but u shouldn't have to. Atleast i don't. Tomo
Iann meant that if u grew lithops in shade they would be all green. Like when they sprouted. If u give the plant more light its natural colors will pop out like its intended to look, yours has great color no need to worry, just give yr lithop good light and water accordingly in the appropriate times and you should have a flower this year, it appears to be old enough to do so!