Re-rooting lithops Help!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
KittieKAT

Re-rooting lithops Help!

Post by KittieKAT »

Soo.. my friend got some Lithops online today and literally called/texted me in a panic cause what she received in the mail was less then satisfactory and kinda rude. This is a very well known seller and a trusted choice for selling plants for years to people, WHY she got the sh*t end of the stick when ordering is unbelievable to me after ALL the great things I've heard, But since i actually saw the plant's with MY own eyes and had my own bsd experiences with seeds...i have to Beleive that this was done purposely for whatever reason unknown to me and my friend.

So all the Lithops received were in less then fair condition, splitting, tap-root and root less, stretched horribly and Just not that healthy looking...

Here's some photos
Attachments
Lithops#1 root view
Lithops#1 root view
CAM02296-1.jpg (35.51 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Lithops#1  top view
Lithops#1 top view
IMG_20150116_162359.jpg (25.41 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Lithops#2 root view
Lithops#2 root view
CAM02298-1.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Lithops#3  root view,  the old leaves split and the new lithop is coming outta the side of one of the old sets of leaves
Lithops#3 root view, the old leaves split and the new lithop is coming outta the side of one of the old sets of leaves
CAM02300-1.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
Last edited by KittieKAT on Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KittieKAT

Re: Re-rooting lithops Help!

Post by KittieKAT »

More photos, anyone have any ideas or whatever on how to save and salvage these lithop plants up top and below pictured? How do i re-root them? Will they even survive or will y friend most likely have dead lithops in a few days after getting them?
Any help is gladly wanted and appreciated
Attachments
Lithops #3 top view
Lithops #3 top view
CAM02302-1.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 6576 times
Lithops#4 in comparison to a lighter for length
Lithops#4 in comparison to a lighter for length
CAM02303-1.jpg (25.68 KiB) Viewed 6576 times
Lithops#4  root view
Lithops#4 root view
CAM02305-1.jpg (20.64 KiB) Viewed 6576 times
Lithops #4 top view
Lithops #4 top view
CAM02307-1.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 6576 times
gemhunter178

Post by gemhunter178 »

"Place it in grit or something else that won't retain water, keep it warm, and give it a spray every week or so. It should root within a month at this time of year. If not, it might wait until spring. It will probably wrinkle, but that's normal over winter anyway, don't try to water it until it has roots." source: This thread

So it seems like any other succulent?
A cactus and succulent collector who especially likes Ariocarpus. …Though I have a bit of everything! Want some pictures? See my flickr! I also do art and such.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I hope so, I've had some experience with root cut lithops or other mesembs but never cut this short or cut all the way completely off tree whole plant - in some of the pictures it looks like there's some tsp root still attached to some of the plant's when its actually just dead leaves i tried to peel most of them off for the picture but i didn't wanna screw around with them too much. Hopefully i can help her root these thing id hate to see them die because the seller broke them off or snipped them for whatever reason and didn't do it to the rest of the lithops she bought.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

The long green one is pretty much the only one that has a root nub on it at all.
iann

Post by iann »

What is with the roots? Were they removed deliberately? I've known some cactus grows do this, or at least cut them back drastically, but no Lithops grower in their right mind would do it. Maybe they are effectively cuttings, bits chopped off larger clumps to be sold? That might account for why some of them are so stretched. A Lithops can root from even the tiniest amount of stem, but it might take some time.

At first I thought the first one looked OK, but the other side is split pretty badly. I've been know to split the odd plant, and a big bud coming in on a fat plant can be just the trick, but that still looks nasty. I would never sell a Lithops like that without the buyer being fully aware what they were getting. It may well do just fine, but it is at risk of rotting especially if the split is recent. The others look worse.

Who is doing this to their plants? Ar least PM me if you don't want to post it in public. This isn't a good seller whatever their reputation might be.
--ian