Euphorbia trigona branching

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Hedrus

Euphorbia trigona branching

Post by Hedrus »

Hi, this is my first post in the forum. I've been reading/lurking for a while. I have a question about Euphorbia trigona. Is there a way to get it to branch more? If it is pruned will it naturally branch more? I ask because I have a very tall one that is almost to my ceiling and it really hasn't branched much. Not like many that I see online. I'm going to have to start cutting it back soon and wanted to know if I could encourage it to grow more branches and thicken up rather than just shooting straight up. I have lots of Euphorbia and know about the sap being toxic etc.. Most of my plants are actually Euphorbia. I'm always reluctant to prune anything I have. Thanks for the help in advance.

Kenzie

A link to my facebook plant obsession album.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... df8a744b22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Direct picture of the plant I am talking about. It's a standard trigona. Not red or variegated.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... ef7a62ebde" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 3a8276d438" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KittieKAT

Re: Euphorbia trigona branching

Post by KittieKAT »

How's the light situation? Mine is not even half the size of yours and branches like CRAZY!
Mines the red trigona, but i doubt that matters. But mine gets full light all the time except for at night
Hedrus

Post by Hedrus »

Mine is in a window but it only really gets indirect light. Seems fine. It's growing fast but it isn't branching much. Thats why I was curious if there was a way to force/encourage branching. I have a variegated red one and a regular variegated one as well. Neither are nearly as large but both are branching more than this one. This one just shot straight up and hasn't branched much. My variegated one is maybe 1/3 the height and it has double the branching.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

They are all in the same place?
Hedrus

Post by Hedrus »

Nope. All different rooms. Lighting is about the same for each. There is a bit more direct light for the other 2. This one is so huge I have no other area for it.
HarryUpNorth

Post by HarryUpNorth »

I would trim the 3 tallest branches of your plant and possibly a few others. Try to get them below the top of your window so the entire plant is receiving light. You should get branching at each cut point and probably other areas of the plant as well. Don't be afraid to prune it, it will be fine. Your plant will probably always be a little top heavy so keep those stakes handy.

Make sure to protect your eyes and skin because the sap will bleed quite heavily. When I'm working with Euphorbias I keep a spray bottle of cold water handy. It seems to slow the bleeding cut quicker ,it also helps clean the plant of the white colored sap that will run down the stem (lactose I think it's called).

You probably know that you can root the cut stems and start new plants. Sometimes you can even plant them at the base of the mother plant and thicken up the base area with new growth.

I looked at your photos of your plant collection. Very nice selections and many of my favorites. You have them nicely staged so neat, tidy and clean. Very attractive. I noticed your terrarium- do you keep lizards or other animals in there?

Good luck with your plant and I hope this is helpful.
Harry
Hedrus

Post by Hedrus »

@HarryUpNorth- Yes I have a few geckos with plants. I have a Veiled chameleon as well with plants but he kills them by walking on them too much. Thanks for the compliment. It's hard to keep everything neat and clean. Your advice is very helpful! I will trim it towards the end of winter then. I like the idea of putting the clippings in the base to add the main plant.