hurina, Stapelia, duvalia, orbea help, please!

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
KittieKAT

hurina, Stapelia, duvalia, orbea help, please!

Post by KittieKAT »

My hurina zebrina doesn't really seem to be having an issue, but I'm kinda not sure what I'm suppose to do in winter with these guys ...water...not water...water lightly...??
My Stapelia Flavoprupurea is kinda ummm, idk soft ish looks like it's getting sorta wrinkled or thirsty
My duvalia corderoi is feeling a little soft ish too its got a bud that hasn't opened either. ..grrrr
My orbea dummeri is getting dried out parts all over some of the stems and on the points of the spike leave stem things (??) Idk why, it's also a little soft ish... should i give it a little wate, why is it drying out like that and dying off?
My orbea comutata seems fine enough but its spiked tipped stems/branches are getting a little dry looking too?
I've had these since spring when the sun was bright abs the weather was warm and hot, now that it's colder out I'm kinda novice on what to do....

Any ideas why it's drying up and dying off on some branches and if its cause they need water or something?

I'm also trying to root one of the stems that broke off my duvalia corderoi....i haven't checked if it rooted yet don't wann. Disturb it but i also don't want it to die off cause it's a huge trailing piece of the plant that fell off during a repot... it's the biggest part of the plant i have.

Suggestions, help, answers and comments are all welcome, thanks
cortez753

Re: hurina, Stapelia, duvalia, orbea help, please!

Post by cortez753 »

I Keep all my Apocynaceae bone dry during the winter december to april they get pretty shriveled during that time. Keeping them so dry isn't necessary though you can give them sips when they start to shrivel or get soft.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Yea i usually don't water my hurina at all, but it never gets dry spots like my duvalia' s are getting or soft... so wanted to see what anyone else does, i think I'll give them a little water to hopefully stop them from getting crusty/flaky parts that look dead on it. Hopefully i don't screw it up lol.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Check the base of all of them to make sure no one is rotting. Stapeliads are nearly as notorious as mesembs for rotting without warning, though at least (most) Stapeliads can be easily rerooted from the branches. Since you grow them indoors in a cold climate I'd keep them pretty dry during the winter. If someone looks severely shriveled give it some water. A strange thing Stapeliads sometimes do is refuse to "pump up" the old stems once they shrivel. It is still alive, and will even produce flowers and very healthy new growth, but will not rehydrate the old stems. So don't worry if something like that happens to you.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

The orbea dummeri literally broke into a bunch of cuttings when i decided to check for rott ](*,)
I dipped them into some rooting powder and layed them on the top of the soil ....don't kno what to do about it now other then wait and hope they root in spring/summer ......grrrrr..... #-o

I removed the dried out looking parts they got sun burned i think(?) Not sure but their good as dead anyways :? Soooo gonna have to figure out if its worth disturbing the other pots to check the roots for rott and risk ending up with hundreds of cuttings instead of one big plant of each..