Portulacaria - Losing LOTS of leaves

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tinacrez

Portulacaria - Losing LOTS of leaves

Post by tinacrez »

I have a fairly large potted Elephant's Food plant that I bought from a local nursery. It's in a hanging basket and did wonderfully all Summer and during our warm Fall here in Philadelphia. It recently started to drop leaves it seems by the handful, dry leaves and healthy leaves. My question is - is this normal for Winter? Or am I possibly under watering the plant?

Since the plant did so well hanging outside, it's hanging from my ceiling between two windows that get most of the afternoon light. I have really dry heat, so I keep an eye on how dry the soil gets in-between watering. I think since the beginning November I've watered it 2-3 times. I think the soil is basic and probably not suited for succulents - but was hoping to repot it come Spring.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
KittieKAT

Re: Portulacaria - Losing LOTS of leaves

Post by KittieKAT »

Mines doing that, but it's the variegated one. It sheds sometimes shouldn't be a problem. If they are turning YELLOW u are probably under watering it if they are just popping off id say over watering.... but it could just be shedding. Got a picture?