lithops wrinkled when producing flowers?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
KittieKAT

lithops wrinkled when producing flowers?

Post by KittieKAT »

I have a few lithops that i assumed had already bloomed, and i stopped watering because i was told to stop watering in October and i usually give them one last watering after the flowers die off.
Should i water the Lithops that are forming flowers still even Thoe it's after October and the weather it's colder?
I really don't understand why they are wrinkling, i had repotted them a few months back into separate pots when i noticed some were throwing up buds...and i wasnt sure if i should water those one but leave they other ones dry(??)

Is this normal, for them to flower this late in the year?
Any idea why they are getting wrinkly while budding?
Should i water them, or leave them alone?

Please let me kno, kinda worried to mess something up and killthe only ones i own.

Some are in a Pearl stone and perlite mix
While some are in a crushed lava, turface and pumice mix

Thanks
iann

Re: lithops wrinkled when producing flowers?

Post by iann »

It is quite late, for most species at least. No matter if they are wrinkled. Once the buds appear you will get flowers whether you water or not, although you might need a little sun and warmth to open them.

They could and probably should get a lot more wrinkled as winter goes by, and there is nothing to worry about. I don't see any reason to water them now except for the really really late ones like some L. optica forms. Even those could happily stay dry until spring. You'll never kill a Lithops by underwatering, but they're easy to kill by overwatering.

Another thing to consider is that they will really bloat up and grow tall if they are watered at this time of year. There is too little sun, too little heat, and too much humidity for them to know what to do with even a small amount of water. Then the new leaves struggle to find their way out, they get all stretched, the old leaves linger, you struggle to give them a good watering in spring without stacking the leaves. Oh dear, much simpler just to let them be a bit wrinkly over winter ;)
--ian
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I would follow Ian's advice. I know I told you something a little different in a private message, but the more I thought about it the more I felt holding off on watering was best. I was giving you advice that was better suited for a climate like mine where I grow them outdoors all year under ideal temperature and light conditions, so several plants are still flowering. Indoors in a cold climate you need to be more careful with winter water.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Oopsie! Okay that's fine i only gave them a little bit of water anyways I'll just move them under the grow light in the somewhat warm house till the soils dry....should that be fine? Or should i panic and unpot them them repot with dry soil? ??
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Moved them inside under the grow light to hopefully let them dry out, these are the only ones that i have i would hate to loose them :( here's pictures to show how they look
Attachments
Here's two putting up buds now...i think ones a Julie
Here's two putting up buds now...i think ones a Julie
CAM01951.jpg (40.33 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Im not sure if this one's gonna bud or just change its skin but u can see how wrinkly they are
Im not sure if this one's gonna bud or just change its skin but u can see how wrinkly they are
CAM01952.jpg (60.63 KiB) Viewed 2008 times