Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
gehcole

Hawthornia

Post by gehcole »

IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG (127.87 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
IMG_0606.JPG
IMG_0606.JPG (94.89 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
I have these Hawthornia that have bloomed beautifully in the past (in a hothouse). Recently we moved to Cancun and I have them outside with a lot of light but no direct sun. Generally the temperature is 30 C and humidity around 80%. I am watering them twice a week. Recently they kind of pulled together, closed up and some of the outer leaves are turning brown. I have no clue whether it is to much or to little water. I would very much appreciate any help.
savant

Re: Hawthornia

Post by savant »

Have you got the name right because every time I put Hawthornia into Google it comes back with Haworthia. It looks as though you plant may be H. attenuata buy not sure.
If it is Haworthia (which I suspect it is) you are watering way too much. I only water mine when I think it's dry which is possibly every 2 to 3 weeks.
See if you can check the state of the soil or whatever they're in and if it feels dry and the pot feels light in weight then water but don't otherwise. It is in the shade which is a good thing because Haworthia don't like direct full sun. I always cover mine with a very thin horticultural fleece if the sun is shining directly on them so they are still getting plenty of light.
Latin is a dead language thank goodness.
gehcole

Re: Hawthornia

Post by gehcole »

You are right about the name, my typo. They have a lot of indirect, but never direct sunlight. I'll reduce water to every 2 weeks and see what happens. Thanks for your advice.