Unidentified Brown Spots

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
melodies

Unidentified Brown Spots

Post by melodies »

I have a problem with two of my succulents, a Graptoveria 'Francisco Baldi' and Sedum pachyveria. They neighbor each other in my garden and are currently covered in these brown spots. I would deeply appreciate it if someone could tell me what is wrong and how to treat my plants.

Here are my observations:
1. The problem is not going away. It is, in fact, spreading.
2. The spots are affecting old growth first-- the leaves that are underneath of others and receive less sunlight. I believe this rules out sunburn and snails (Although I do have an infestation of those at the moment).
3. When enough spots cover a leaf, it dries up. At that point, I pull it off so that it doesn't rot on top of everything else.

Here are the photos.
Attachments
Plant 1, whom I believe to be Patient Zero.
Plant 1, whom I believe to be Patient Zero.
IMG_9996.JPG (56.54 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Plant 2
Plant 2
IMG_9994.JPG (61.23 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Plant 2
Plant 2
IMG_0003.JPG (63.72 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Plant 2
Plant 2
IMG_9995.JPG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
-Jolene

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
-Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy
melodies

Re: Unidentified Brown Spots

Post by melodies »

I couldn't stand it anymore. Half the plants were covered in these brown spots, and those are the halves that are left after the brown spots have already consumed a significant chunk of the plant.

So I removed all leaves with spots. :crybaby: The plants look a little bare now but hopefully this will at least slow the spread of the spots until someone can tell me what to do.
-Jolene

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
-Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Looks like Sun burns, nor much you can do other then give them a little shade during the sunnier days, a few hours of bright sun, few hours of indirect sun, night time...
Or it could be a fungus Thoe i highly doubt it..they look healthy enough.
Thoe plucking the leaves won't really do much if it is Sun spots the sun will create more, and if ut is a fungus ot prob won't go away with a low dose of some sort of fungicide or something... Goodluck hun
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

It could even be a bug, like a sap sucker of sum sort maybe a gnat or slug trailing on the leaves or feeding ok them. I'd suggest looking around where they are and see if you see anything that looks like it could harm your plant's or do something like that to your plant's leaves. And see what you can do about the situation. I don't think anything life threatening to the plant is going on, but if its just the fact that outta slightly unsightly for your taste i suggest try finding the source, start with searching for insects or animals then try the shade and if that's not it try looking up different succulent fungus online and see how to treat the problem that matches the same one you're having.
Again, best of luck