Euphorbia lactea crested

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Euphorbia lactea crested

Post by WayneByerly »

I went to Lowes the other day for some epoxy and walked out with a Euphorbia lactea crested. When I got it home, I discovered that the pot did not have a drainage hole. That's OK ... just repot it.

But when I started to do so, I found that the soil cover had been 'glued' in place. It wasn't very strong. I was able to break it up with a screw driver, and once removed, I could rinse the white rocks in HOT water to separate them ... that way I could re-use the pretty white rock soil cover.

Also, once I got started I noticed that the only pot I had that was anywhere NEAR suitable was easily four times the size of the original.

Now we get to business ... The E. lactea has been grafted onto ... well, I don't know what ... something ... and when I repotted it, I discovered that the root system was almost non-existent. The roots were VERY small.

My question/request is:
1) is this small root system normal considering what it was grafted onto?
2) did I do good to repot? especially in a pot this big?
4) will the root system grow quickly?
5) is the new pot that I put it in too big for the plants size especially considering the root system was so small?
6) and lastly, ... any suggestions?

Here's a couple of pics. After I repotted it, I noticed that it was it was a little 'wobbly'. So I shoved some BBQ skewers into the ground around it and then wrapped a 2 layers of tape around the skewers ... first layer with the stick side "out" (so it didn't touch the plant) and the second layer with the sticky side "in" to cover up the first layer ... all of this to give some support to the plant ... to stabilize it from movement.

P.S. the plant on the other side of this one is a MUCH smaller Euphorbia lactea that was NOT grafted ... i just thought they MIGHT look good together in the same pot.

Thanks in advance to all who chose to help.
DSCF3455.jpg
DSCF3455.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
DSCF3456.jpg
DSCF3456.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
[end of message]
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
coldcactusmontreal

Re: Euphorbia lactea crested

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I got one as well several months ago. I think they must stay in a container for a really long time and lose all their roots if they ever had much at all in the first place. You'll have a long slow process to get the roots to grow on it, you should have a much smaller pot. Pots need to be sized to the roots not the plant. Don't water very much and try and get the roots back, it takes a long time and I am only partially sure that mine has roots now, but it hasn't grown at all in a long time, so I hope it starts up again soon.