Euphorbia lactea cristata: to prune or not?

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
FranklinCat

Euphorbia lactea cristata: to prune or not?

Post by FranklinCat »

My partner and I inherited a sizable cactus/succulent collection from her father. Included was this Euphorbia. My question is whether I should prune away the normal growth. I noticed that new growth first appeared on the normal parts a couple of weeks before a portion of the crested part started to sprout some new growth. I've come across statements recommending the removal of normal growth, but without any indication of whether that was for aesthetic reasons or to shift growing energy to the crested portions of the plant. Anyone know?

Edit: Of course, if there are no normal parts, the plant's energy will have to be shifted to the crested part. What I really want to know is whether the plant will favor the normal parts vs. crested parts when both exist.
Attachments
P4306568a.jpg
P4306568a.jpg (36.21 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
Saxicola

Re: Euphorbia lactea cristata: to prune or not?

Post by Saxicola »

I would prune it out. Your plant is pretty big so I doubt the normal parts can overtake the crests at this point, but best to keep them in check.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
FranklinCat

Post by FranklinCat »

Thanks for your help in pushing me closer to a decision. I usually shy away from doing purely aesthetic pruning, but the more I look at this plant the more I'm inclined to take a knife to the two longer limbs of normal growth. I'll discuss the plastic surgery with my partner, so I can share the shame.

I'd still like to know if a plant will naturally channel more energy to normal growth vs. crested growth, if anyone knows the science.
bluetexasbonnie
Location: Geronimo, Texas (near San Antonio) Edge of zone 8a - 8b.

Post by bluetexasbonnie »

I don't know anything about the science, ... but don't forget that you can root the pruned pieces.
My cactus must be gods. They demand blood sacrifice.
FranklinCat

Post by FranklinCat »

Oh, I will, . . . I will!
GreenThumb

Post by GreenThumb »

I tried to root some pieces of Euphorbia Crestata that my kind friend shared with me but so far had no luck. I tried dry soil/bright light/misting combo, also - with another piece - "green house" effect (the terracotta pot with plastic cover on it). Both cuttings had rotted on me. :-k

Any advice what else might work?

Thank you.