Pachypodium saundersii is sick

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
tarev
Location: Central Valley area, San Joaquin County - California

Pachypodium saundersii is sick

Post by tarev »

I got this very young Pachy last June 2013 and it grew well all summer long. By late Fall as the weather started to go cold, I brought it indoors by our south facing window and overwintered. I have read not to water it during winter as it was dormant. When we returned from our vacation in Feb, I noticed the plant is bending towards the light a little more and the main trunk seems to be getting softer. Against my better judgement, my hubby insisted that I water it. He was under the impression it needed water. So the plant did not plump up, and continues to bend and the trunk continues to go soft. I repotted it to check on the roots, so far the roots still looked okay, but that trunk is just soft and continues to bend.

I have brought it outdoors in mid-March 2014 hoping maybe it is just really seeking more light..but still no improvement. A local cacti nursery suggests that maybe it is rotting from within..and if I like I can try an chop off the upper portion that still looks viable. I have never done that..so am asking here if that is the only option left for me. The top portion feels firm and color looks better compared to the lower half of the plant.
Attachments
The Pachy last June 2013
The Pachy last June 2013
IMG_3396.JPG (88.39 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
The Pachy during the rest of summer 2013
The Pachy during the rest of summer 2013
IMG_4497.JPG (82.24 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
It's sad and sick condition right now in Spring 2014
It's sad and sick condition right now in Spring 2014
IMG_9144.JPG (84.33 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Saxicola

Re: Pachypodium saundersii is sick

Post by Saxicola »

That one is dead I'm sorry to say. I would only keep it indoors in your climate during the coldest, wettest part of winter. Keeping it dry in winter is important but don't keep it absolutely bone dry. Give it just a bit of water every few weeks to a month. More often if it keeps its leaves.

I sell these on Ebay all the time and have several for sale right now. If you are interested in another one let me know and we can work something out.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants