Agave guiengola with red edges

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
cgillett5

Agave guiengola with red edges

Post by cgillett5 »

I was wondering if my Agave is suffering from too much sun. The edges are turning red. I know that when my cacti turn red it's bad. I have removed it from the location it was at, but wanted to double check if my assumption was correct. Also, how much sun does it actually need?
"What do you mean, I'm obsessed?"
greenknight

Re: Agave guiengola with red edges

Post by greenknight »

Agaves need full sun. If it was also getting reflected light from a light-colored wall or pavement, that could have been too much.
Spence :mrgreen:
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I notice you are in Wisconsin so I'm guessing it isn't out in your yard this time of year. Are you growing it in a greenhouse or in a windowsill?

Check the roots (or at least make sure it feels well rooted in the pot). Plants can turn red and look sun stressed when they actually have lost their roots and are water stressed (once they lose their roots then the rest of the plant gets water stressed from too little water).
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

It was in a southern facing window. I just put it into a larger pot about two weeks ago and the roots looked fine. I am wondering if it needs more water. I try to water it once a week. Sometimes it is two weeks. I worry about over watering, but am working under assumption that it needs more water than a cactus.

When I bought it, it was in a peat based mix and water ran right thru. Now it is in a mix that is 50% Napa, 25% coir, and 25% top soil. Good drainage. It is also in a unglazed clay pot if that helps. I think it is a beautiful plant and don't want to kill it. Any advice would greatly be appreciated. I tried to get a picture, but it didn't show the red. Bad lighting I think.
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

Here is a pix of the suckers I recently removed. They are doing the same thing as the main plant.
Agave red.JPG
Agave red.JPG (46.72 KiB) Viewed 2589 times
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Ok, you've got the variegated cultivar "Creme Brulee", it appears. There's no problem - take a look here: http://oregoncactus.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... html#links" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spence :mrgreen:
cgillett5

Post by cgillett5 »

Thank you so much. I was worried I was burning it. It is a pretty plant, I don't want it to be scarred or anything.