Epiphyllum oxypetalum - Now What ??

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
coyotecreek

Epiphyllum oxypetalum - Now What ??

Post by coyotecreek »

This guy has been in the southwest-facing bay window above the kitchen sink for a couple years. Repotted 2-3 years ago in regular potting soil, in a smallish, glazed pot with no drainage holes. Has done quite well, even some really nice flowers in the past year (flowering photo is from June 2013). Would really like to get it into a larger, heavier pot that doesn't keep tipping over, and am also concerned that the lower leaves have taken on a very reddish color. Suspect the reddish color may be from the cold, as the circular red spot is right where it might have been in contact with the cold window glass. Any tips on when or how to re-pot, or other advice on how to keep it happy and healthy? Thanks ....
P1100339-R1.JPG
P1100339-R1.JPG (69.93 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
P1100344-R1.JPG
P1100344-R1.JPG (75.1 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
P1070700-R1.JPG
P1070700-R1.JPG (63.71 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
CactusFanDan

Re: Epiphyllum oxypetalum - Now What ??

Post by CactusFanDan »

Looks great! :) With Epi's, it's better to keep them in a relatively small pot, since they supposedly flower better when they're kept relatively root-bound.
-Dan
Happy growing!

There is always one more glochid. Somewhere.
My C&S blog
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

I would find a pot with drainage holes. They need richer soil than desert cactus, filtered light, evenly moist & higher humidity. You might make some type of trellis for it to be supported by - in the wild they clamber up trees. I'm not sure I agree with the pot bound comment; I've found the opposite. Plenty of epi sites on the net for specialized info. Sue
coyotecreek

Post by coyotecreek »

OK, repotted into a bigger, heavier pot with a drainage hole. Pruned off one of the lower stems with leaves, leaving the two tall stalks. The lower leaves on one of the stalks still has that distinct reddish color. The Hoya carnosa has already wrapped around the new stalk, which has grown noticeably in the 2 weeks since the previous photo. A golden pothos completes the trio.
P1100466-R1.JPG
P1100466-R1.JPG (36.32 KiB) Viewed 978 times