Should I be concerned?? Aloe aristata roots

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
emilleejoyce

Should I be concerned?? Aloe aristata roots

Post by emilleejoyce »

So I ordered a lovely little aloe aristata off the internet and it arrived today. However, I was quite alarmed at the lack of roots on the plant. I'm wondering if this is normal and whether or not I should be concerned. I went ahead and potted the plant but didn't water it, in case the lack of roots was due to rot or something. The plant does show some signs of stress. The outer leaves are slightly pink and have a grayed look about them. If there is something wrong with my plant, could you please tell me what to do so that I might have a healthy plant?
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.11 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (66.64 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
Last edited by emilleejoyce on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
majcka

Re: Should I be concerned??

Post by majcka »

It is a bit conserning, but I hink it should get through. I keep my fingers.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

emilleejoyce

Re: Should I be concerned?? Aloe aristata roots

Post by emilleejoyce »

I hope so. I can't seem to find photos anywhere online of what healthy aloe aristata roots look like so I have no idea if I should be worried or not. I don't want to lose this plant because I've been wanting an aristata for a while now!

I'd like to know if I should or if I can water it. The leaves look awfully thin in my opinion (at least compared to my other aloe) and I don't know if I should have potted it or left it unpotted for a while instead.

UPDATE: I did have the aloe potted but I've been obsessively worrying about it and decided to take it out of the dirt to get a better look at the nonexistent roots. There were a couple small ones that came off with a very gentle tug and a couple had mushy ends, which I pinched off. I've tried my best to wash any dirt off and now I have it drying on a cool windowsill. My question is now, when do I put it back in dirt? And I still don't know what to do about watering. And should I pull off the outer leaves which are pink at the base? The pink part of the leaves fills rather mushy.

*I moved this topic to the sick cacti section.*