Haworthia germination

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
hoteidoc

Haworthia germination

Post by hoteidoc »

Have started a batch of 4 species - bayeri, margarita, decipiens & herbacea. Are on a 12 hr cycle with max temp 75F. They've been going @ 10 days, but haven't seen any "hatchlings". What would be "normal" germination for these? Previously I used cactus 16 hr, max. 90F temps regimen & apparently frying them, although got typical germination time (for cacti) ](*,)
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
srboisvert

Re: Haworthia germination

Post by srboisvert »

I grow mine on a windowsill using the baggie method. No external heat at all and get decent germination rates usually within a weeks time.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

srboisvert wrote:I grow mine on a windowsill using the baggie method. No external heat at all and get decent germination rates usually within a weeks time.
I have had mild results with Haworthia, after sowing in March in an unheated greenhouse using the baggie method (which works like a charm for anything else). Restarting them after letting them dry out during summer proved to be more successful than the first try, it seems. Especially with Haworthia sordida. Most of the time I have to wait for many weeks before something pops up.
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Guess I need to feel more comfortable with "many weeks", Aiko, than srboivert's "a weeks time". I did extend my light cycle to 14 hrs to get a couple extra degrees of heat. Will keep folks abreast of (anticipated) activity :roll:
There's no 12 step programme for Cactaholics...so I shall just have to get some more!!
dustrin

Post by dustrin »

It's quite depends on the freshness on the seeds. Did see they jumped out within one week if fresh enough
hoteidoc

Post by hoteidoc »

Was starting to wonder about that!:idea: But have bought seed from several "reputable" sources Have had that same experience with Lopho's. Guess I just have to constantly be on the prowl, lower expectations & keep trying. Besides I have a bajillion other plants & seedlings to care for! :roll:
Tony

Post by Tony »

I have had the same experience with low to no germination with Aloe seed from reputable sources. I have very few aloe plants growing from seed I have purchased.
While at the same time, the hybridized seed I make myself or seed from friends that just came off the plant, comes up fast and easy every time using the same light and temps as I use for cacti.
I suspect that Aloe, haworthia and gasteria seed have about the same life expectancy.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony