Top heavy crassulas

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
snagel

Top heavy crassulas

Post by snagel »

I finally got around to repotting a couple of crassulas yesterday that were still in peat and the roots looks pretty yucky, not very deep or extensive and very fragile. Now that they're in a more granular mix, the roots don't seem to want to hold the plants up and I'm afraid to breathe on the plants for fear they'll fall over and pull the roots right out. How can I help stabilize them while they work on improving their roots? I know the timing isn't ideal because they shouldn't be growing as much now, but I wanted to get them out of peat because it's been so cool and damp.
Proud owner of:
Cacti: Echinocactus, Mamillarias,
Succulents: Aloes, Avonia, Cressulas, Euphorbia, Kalanchoe, Lithops
coldcactusmontreal

Re: Top heavy crassulas

Post by coldcactusmontreal »

I just repotted a E milli and it was falling over a bit to the left. So I put some rocks around the base and positioned it and it works fine. Another alternative is a stick attached to the pot or in the soil that you can then anchor parts of the plant to. Try not to damage the roots with the cane.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

What Crassula do you have and how big is it? Stabilizing a floppy 6" Crassula perforata is different from stabilizing a 5' Jade plant.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
snagel

Post by snagel »

It's a 6" Crassula Ovata "Gollum"
Proud owner of:
Cacti: Echinocactus, Mamillarias,
Succulents: Aloes, Avonia, Cressulas, Euphorbia, Kalanchoe, Lithops
Tony

Post by Tony »

snagel wrote:It's a 6" Crassula Ovata "Gollum"
Anything that you can stick in the soil to help hold up the plant until it develops a stong root system will work.
I use bamboo skewers that can be found at just about any supermarket. They are cheap and will last at least a few months before the end rots off, at which point you just need to push them deeper into the soil.
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony