Sun: direct or indirect

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Kratus

Sun: direct or indirect

Post by Kratus »

Hi!

Like I said, I recently was offered a few species of succulents and I left them in a place where they could get direct sunlight from midday until the afternoon (more or less). I also have read that succulents enjoy direct sun exposure, and that's why I chose that place. However, today I noticed that some leafs of my succulents were like burned or wrinkled.

I keep my succulents outside, and now I'm a little bit affraid and don't know quite well were I should put them because of the sun.

So, from your experience, which is the best way to grow succulents? Which is the best place to keep succulents and how many hours should succulents be in direct sun (if they really have too).

Sorry about my annoying questions :(
majcka

Re: Sun: direct or indirect

Post by majcka »

Not annoying but newbie like. But that is what you are, right?

Lets try this one;

Did you put them on midday sun all at once? From a store or appartement? IF YOU DID, THEY CAN BE TOSTED. But succulents can easilly recover even that. I have a pretty big Crassula ovata (money plant I think you say, or Jade plant) It was on the balcony getting late afternoon sun and much heat. It looked backed in the fall when I moved it indoors, but it doesn't look any like this now. It recovered totally.

But I think you should look on the net for each plant (if you have them ID-d) whether they like direct sun or not, or do they need midday sun rotection or simmilar.

Good luck.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Jen8754

Post by Jen8754 »

Hi, Kratus,
Maja is right in that you should look online for each of the various succulents and find out which ones like direct sunlight and which ones don't. And also that you should gradually acclimate them to the direct sunlight if they are not used to it (the one's that like direct sun). I know the jades (Crassula ovata) like several hours of direct sun and the Sedums do better in full sun. But succulents such as zygocacti (christmas cactus and thanksgiving cactus) will sometimes get burned in direct sunlight -- especially the new young leaves, and succulents such as snake plants (Sansevieria trifasciata) thrive in low light conditions -- no direct sun at all.

Something else to consider...depending on where you are in the world and how cold it gets in winter you may have to bring them inside for the winter as many succulents are not cold-hardy.

And don't worry, your questions are not annoying at all. :D That's pretty much what this website is for...questions and answers.

Good luck with your new plants,
Jennifer
Kratus

Post by Kratus »

Thanks majcka and Jen8754! I've already looked on the internet for informations about my plants and divided them according to sunlight needs. However, I have an Echeveria "Black Prince" that likes full sun, but got some burns as you can see below.
IMG0316A.jpg
IMG0316A.jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
I've also an Crassula ovata 'Gollum' with some burns in the leafs. Will both be fine? What do you recommend me to do with be succulents that have burns?

Once again, thank you very much! :)
majcka

Post by majcka »

They will in time. If not before then after new leafs grow and the old ones fall off.
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

iann

Post by iann »

I find many Echeverias need a little shade. Enough sun for a compact shape, and nice pink shading on some species, but a little shade in the afternoon. Most like it isn't even the sun that is the problem for most species, but overheating. Most of the Echeverias we grow are from mountain areas with cool air and good ventilation.

Nearly all succulents need some sun, but start slowly and work up to it.
--ian
Jen8754

Post by Jen8754 »

Hi, Kratus,
Yes, your gollum and black prince should eventually be fine. Just put them in the shade or partial shade at first and then get them gradually acclimated to full sun and eventually there will be new growth that will look good and healthy. That's how you'll know they are getting the right amount of sunlight.
Jennifer