Sempervivum is mushy, soft

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
Jen8754

Sempervivum is mushy, soft

Post by Jen8754 »

Hi,
I recently acquired a baby Sempervivum (I'm pretty sure it's a Sempervivum atlanticum but not 100% sure) and it was doing great indoors. But my cat kept nibbling it so I had to move it to outdoors. I also transplanted it from the container it was in, to a new one with new soil (Miracle-Gro soil mix for cacti and succulents). I am watering it about once a week and not very much water at a time. Right away after being brought outdoors the leaves went from nice and firm to soft and getting mushy. Could it be too much sun/heat? Too much or too little water?
Indoors it was getting about 3 hours of direct sunlight and then rest of the day it was getting indirect sunlight. Outside it was in full sun for a day or two, then I put it under a bush for some shade from the midday sun.
This is my first Sempervivum so I have no experience with them. They do grow outdoors year-round here so maybe it was just too many big changes all at once?
What should I do to it now so it will live and not die? :?
Attachments
semp 1 small file.jpg
semp 1 small file.jpg (100.64 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
semp 2 small file.jpg
semp 2 small file.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 4070 times
JamesEG

Re: Sempervivum is mushy, soft

Post by JamesEG »

Maybe it's over potted? It does look like a big pot for a small plant! That would mean that the soil doesn't dry out fully between watering so it could be over watered. But as you said it could just be lots of changes at once, normally people recommend that when moving a plant into more light you do it gradually and build it up.

Since I'm not too experienced I would wait until a more experienced member also replies, just in case I'm wrong! ](*,)

I hope this helps!
Jen8754

Post by Jen8754 »

Here's a pic of what it was growing in when it was doing fine. It's also a big pot. And when I water it now, I'm only watering a little bit so that it isn't getting water logged. (I don't think it is, anyway -- the soil feels dry before I water it, and the roots are shallow)
I had trouble handling it and repotting it...the leaves are so fragile...I wanted to put it in a large enough pot that I wouldn't have to repot it again because I was afraid of killing it accidentally during a repotting. #-o
But, you are right, over-potting could be part of the problem.
Thanks!
Jennifer
Attachments
sempervivum indoors small file.jpg
sempervivum indoors small file.jpg (72.34 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

That pot before is also quite large for the plant, if it was doing well in that pot and you're being carful with watering, it might not be over watering. And I would be very surprised if you managed to kill a plant while repotting it, unless you really damaged the roots but that's very unlikely!

I would also say the higher light levels could still play a part but normally when a plant gets too much light it gets sunburn, not soft leaves, however I don't keep any sempervivums so I'm not very knowledgeable with them!

Once again, wait until another more experienced member replies before doing anything as I could be wrong :oops:

I hope your plant gets healthy again soon!
iann

Post by iann »

I'm going to suggest that it is actually thirsty :shock: Sempervivums are not Arizona-desert plants. They are from high mountains with cool conditions (although strong sun) and frequent rainfall (or snowfall).

The pale colour could be from too much sun or heat. I would suggest afternoon shade and a little some morning sun to see if it perks up. Then more morning sun, because it won't do well in the shade forever.
--ian
Jen8754

Post by Jen8754 »

JamesEG wrote:
I hope your plant gets healthy again soon!
Thanks, James! I hope so, too. I think it'll pull through. It's not getting any mushier, so I'm optimistic. :)
Jen8754

Post by Jen8754 »

iann wrote:I'm going to suggest that it is actually thirsty :shock: Sempervivums are not Arizona-desert plants. They are from high mountains with cool conditions (although strong sun) and frequent rainfall (or snowfall).

The pale colour could be from too much sun or heat. I would suggest afternoon shade and a little some morning sun to see if it perks up. Then more morning sun, because it won't do well in the shade forever.
Ian, I bet you're right. The problem probably is not enough water and too much heat. I'll water it first thing in the morning. It has been hot here. I am also going to ease it back into the full sun position so it won't be under the bush. It does get morning sun there, though. Thanks.
Your emoticon cracked me up! :lol:
Jennifer
Jen8754

Re: Sempervivum is mushy, soft -- UPDATE -- problem solved!

Post by Jen8754 »

iann wrote:I'm going to suggest that it is actually thirsty :shock: Sempervivums are not Arizona-desert plants. They are from high mountains with cool conditions (although strong sun) and frequent rainfall (or snowfall).
Ian, you were right! I watered it well yesterday and today it is already firming up. Yay! Thank you thank you. :D
majcka

Post by majcka »

Yay!!!! A semervivum is saved. Watch out now, you haer me? :lol:
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

iann

Post by iann »

Jen8754 wrote:
Ian, you were right! I watered it well yesterday and today it is already firming up. Yay! Thank you thank you. :D
I don't know how cold the Prescott Valley gets but this may well be happy all winter. Sempervivums are very hardy and like nothing better than a good snowmelt start to the growing season. Tricky here in England where they can rot in winter, but I'm guessing that won't be your main problem :lol:
--ian
Jen8754

Post by Jen8754 »

iann wrote: I don't know how cold the Prescott Valley gets but this may well be happy all winter. Sempervivums are very hardy and like nothing better than a good snowmelt start to the growing season. Tricky here in England where they can rot in winter, but I'm guessing that won't be your main problem :lol:

According to what I have read on the web it should be OK here in the winter outside. I know of some Sempervivums (Semperviva? :-k ) that grow outdoors year-round in the next town over. I recently saw them for myself so I know it's true. :D

It can get down to about -5 F (-20 C) here but that is maybe one time per winter season...mostly the coldest nights of winter are around the 10 F (-12 C) mark. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens with my little semp this winter. Always a learning adventure with plants.
Jennifer
majcka

Post by majcka »

I think with your temps it should be fine. 8-[
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I think you will find that Sempreviums NEED the cold in the winter in order to be healthy and flourish. They are mountain plants. Mine are out in all weathers which includes humidity snow rain ice, you name it we get it. I think you may also find that most of them grow in crevices or in between rocks, so don't really have much soil at all. I'll try and post a couple of photos tomorrow of mine and you can see for yourself, also the difference in them from winter and summer.

Susi
Nature Lover
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tiggy/267725810010423" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@ ... 383469537/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;