Faucaria tigrina help.

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
bluerose8099

Re: Faucaria tigrina help.

Post by bluerose8099 »

I actually lost this plant not too long after my last post. At first only a portion of the plant seemed to be rotting, but day by day another section followed until I lost the whole thing. At this point I think I'm giving up on Faucaria tigrina. Thanks for the offer for help though!
mg2007

Post by mg2007 »

If you change your mind, try growing them with a minimum of organics in the mix. They are really a delight to grow - I am even finding them pretty easy from seed! (Much to my surprise!) But be careful with the watering. If you buy ffrom a big box tore, the first thing to do is to repot them - the peat mixture they are in is HORRIBLE!
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

I usually get them from Lowe's or Walmart and do get them out of that mix ASAP. Unfortunately I think I was putting them into a mix that wasn't much improved. I've learned my lesson about those and organics! If I do try again I will definitely keep that in mind. It would be interesting to see how they do from seed. I am much more reserved with the watering after killing one last summer from too much.
1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

Faucaria are very susceptible to low light they become a bit elongated. Too much fertiliser makes them look a bit glossy and green. More light, less fertiliser, good drainage. A good loam and sharp sand brings out the markings. Big Yellow flowers in Autumn.
Most mesembs hate high humidity and heat. Most are arid mountain plants where it can be quite cold. I usualy avoid watering in June especially because of this. They are notorious for spurious rotting like this. You can cut the bad bits off. They will ususally survive.
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.
bluerose8099

Post by bluerose8099 »

If I ever decide to try Faucaria tigrina again, I will certainly take all these tips into account. By the time I realized there was a problem it had already gone too far.