Wrinkly Orbea schweinfurthii

Use this forum to get advice on growing succulents and keeping them healthy
absolute0

Wrinkly Orbea schweinfurthii

Post by absolute0 »

I got an Orbea schweinfurthii a few weeks ago. It's been unpotted for 3-4 days before I received it so when I potted it, it wasn't erect. I've watered it a week after potting expecting it to plump up but it hasn't. I've also noticed it has gotten wrinkly so I watered it again but no effect. I didn't water it anymore because the entry at llifle said to water it sparingly. Anyway, I've also been putting it out for some direct sunlight for at most 4hrs daily and I noticed that it developed a darker color and some brownish markings. Still, the plant has two new growths (stems?). Is this normal?
image.jpg
image.jpg (18.58 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
iann

Re: Wrinkly Orbea schweinfurthii

Post by iann »

It doesn't look well. Sounds like the roots aren't working well. They might have rotted or they might just be still recovering. I'd keep it out of the sun for wait a few more weeks. If it seems to be going downhill fast or is completely loose in the pot then pull it up and be ready for emergency surgery.
--ian
absolute0

Post by absolute0 »

Okay. Thanks. I'll stop giving it direct sunlight for the time being.

Here are pictures of the new growth it's been putting up. These stems grow so fast, I can almost perceive its daily developments (I was somehow hoping these were flower buds..haha)
image.jpg
image.jpg (40.49 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
iann

Post by iann »

Are you somewhere very warm? Very fast growth, etiolated even. The plant doesn't seem unhappy, just slightly thirsty. I think one of the reasons these are considered touchy by many people is that they like it so warm.
--ian