Is this REALLY a pony tail palm?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Is this REALLY a pony tail palm?

Post by WayneByerly »

I got to looking at pictures of pony tail palms (Beaucarnea recurvata) and I thought that they didn't look like what I have. The ones i've been looking at have a long "handle" above the caudes. Like this pic i stole from a google search. The following is NOT my plant.
br1.jpg
br1.jpg (83.59 KiB) Viewed 724 times
but mine don't have "handles" ... they are only lemon/orange sized globular round shapes. like this:
br2.jpg
br2.jpg (103.94 KiB) Viewed 724 times
so are my plants Beaucarnea recurvata? Or something else?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Wise guy

Re: Is this REALLY a pony tail palm?

Post by Wise guy »

Certainly look like it. They just need to grow a longer stem with time. As they grow, the lower leaves are lost, forming the stem or 'handles' as you called it.
All the best, Mike
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Yes, Beaucarnia recurvata. The other Beaucarneas are not so common and the globose base of yours looks spot on.

It can take years to grow a tall neck, especially in a smallish pot and indoors.

Shmuel
Jerusalem Israel
Amazing plants, amazing form, amazing flowers...
Amazing cacti!
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

WayneByerly wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:23 am I got to looking at pictures of pony tail palms (Beaucarnea recurvata) and I thought that they didn't look like what I have. The ones i've been looking at have a long "handle" above the caudex. Like this pic i stole from a google search. The following is NOT my plant.
br1.jpg

but mine don't have "handles" ... they are only lemon/orange sized globular round shapes. like this:
br2.jpg

so are my plants Beaucarnea recurvata? Or something else?
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a