Bought at the grocery store of all places ...

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Bought at the grocery store of all places ...

Post by WayneByerly »

... and it was ONLY labeled "succulent" ... NOT Haworthia ... not Mammillaria ... NOT sequoia ... just "succulent". But it was a moderately interesting plant and I purchased it. ((Is there a 12 step program for those of use whose addiction is green growing things?))

ANYBODY got ANY idea what this is? Its leaves, very lightly serrated along its edges, are substantially thinner that what I would normally see in a Haworthia, although that was my initial thought. And they are quite stiff ... rigid as a matter of fact. The 'dots' have a definate but not excessive texture. They dots are not just 'colored spots'.
0001.jpg
0001.jpg (110.1 KiB) Viewed 1529 times
Last edited by WayneByerly on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tofterigen

Re: Bought at the grocery store of all places ...

Post by Tofterigen »

Hi WayneByerly

That is "Aloe variegata"! Easy to grow and reliable blooming, if old enough. Handle it like Hawortia or Gasteria!

Tofterigen
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Terrific! Vielen dank! Yet once again, the wonderful people that come to this forum have proved how kind and helpful they are.
Ich habe die deutsche Sprache in der Schule studiert. Aber das war vor 40 Jahren. Ich kenne keine Worte. Erinnere dich nicht. and i had to look up "remember".

But now i'm going to have to remove it from my "Haworthia bowl" and put it in my "various succulent bowl".
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Agreed, it's an old favorite. Looks its best when given some direct sun.
Spence :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

greenknight wrote:Agreed, it's an old favorite. Looks its best when given some direct sun.
The window its in gets about 4 hours a day of direct sun and about 16 hours of fluorescent grow bulb light (knowing that plants require about 8 hrs of darkness a day for photosynthesis) about 1 ft away. MOST everything inside does real well. Although what's in the greenhouse does even better.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That should be fine. There are a couple similar species, but they're less common. If you want to check them out anyway, they're mentioned here -
http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/ALOE/A ... iegata.htm
Spence :mrgreen:
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

When I posted my original question here it was with the thought that perhaps someone could at least point me in the right direction and that I could then use that to identify both of the two plants that I had in mind. Now that I have discovered that the plant in my original posting here was an aloe, perhaps you might verify that this one (pic below) is indeed an aloe too. And if not what its genus might be so that I can use that to do further investigation into its genus/species identification.

Again, the leaves are rather thin and the spots on the leaves have a distinct tactile property. They are not just colored spots. And the leaf edges have the tiniest teeth. Very lightly serrated.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance!

@Is It Another Aloe.jpg
@Is It Another Aloe.jpg (144.78 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

"For the Fallen" by Laurence Binyon:

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

I hate to break the consensus, but I don't think the plant in the first picture is Aloe variegata. Far too many teeth on the leaf margins and they should be banded rather than spotted. I'm inclined to say both plants are hybrids, maybe xGastrolea.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

Oooooo... Another clue. Clues, clues, clues. I love this! Lemme go lookit that.

I'm back. Hmmm... (GreenKnight) - - - >The description at the cactus-art site that you sent me describes the leaves as having a distinct keel. The leaves of the plant in the picture of my first posting here (except for the spots) have nothing, no keel, on the bottoms of the leaves.

On the other hand, there's a picture on the site... http://www.succulent.com.ua/encyclopedi ... oleja.html

... that is labeled Gastrolea. Based on the description at the cactus-art.biz site and the picture on the succulent.com site above, I'm inclined at this point to agree with JFabio.

Well, dern... Let me just inclide the pic of that Gastrolea bedinghausii...
csm_gastrolea_bedinghausii-b_37b2af915d.jpg
csm_gastrolea_bedinghausii-b_37b2af915d.jpg (90.43 KiB) Viewed 1432 times
See the teeth on the leaf edges. The plant above (except for size) is a is identical to the plant in my original posting.

JFabio ... have you any ideas on plant in the second picture?
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

how the posting above got duplicated here is beyond me. i've done the best i can to remove the dupe.
Last edited by WayneByerly on Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

jfabiao wrote:I hate to break the consensus, but I don't think the plant in the first picture is Aloe variegata. Far too many teeth on the leaf margins and they should be banded rather than spotted. I'm inclined to say both plants are hybrids, maybe xGastrolea.
When I first posted my question, looking for an identification of a plant, I only included a picture of the first of the two plants that I had purchased, thinking that I would get a clue as to what it might be and therefore be able to do some investigation myself. But when the first attempt turned out so well with multiple identifications I decided to add the second plant to the question.

Another reason I did not initially include the second plant was that when I purchased these two plants, I accidentally dropped the plant and in my attempt to rescue it from hitting the floor, I snatched it out of the dirt, completely removing all of its roots. I didn't think it would survive. But I put it in some dirt hoping that it would eventually grow a new set of roots. That was a week ago. Just a moment ago I picked it up hoping that I would find some indication that it had started growing a new set of roots. This is what I found.
DSCF7791.JPG
DSCF7791.JPG (164.9 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

Much to my amazement it had an amazing set of roots (as you can see). And they are only a week old. My hand is in the picture to provide some sense of scale. So as long as I had it up out of the dirt and it had such an amazing set of roots I thought I would pot the two together. Here's a picture of that. Any assistance you might give me on the ID of the plant on the left (the second plant) would be greatly appreciated.
DSCF7794.JPG
DSCF7794.JPG (169.69 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
jfabiao

Post by jfabiao »

The plant on the left may turn out to be an Aloe "Cosmo", but it will need to grow a bit more to be sure.
Z, in (mostly) sunny Lisbon.
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.pt/
WayneByerly

Post by WayneByerly »

I don't know, I don't know... I googled "Aloe Cosmo" and in the pictures that I am seeing there, the dots on the bottom sides of the leaves are all arranged in straight horizontal lines, where are the spots on the plant that I have are scattered about uniformly without any 'lines' being discernible. Also the new leaves in the center of the Aloe are grouped together tightly in the center of the plant, curved in, much like on an Agave, where the new leaves in the center of THIS plant fan out. I don't know how much either of the above facts are due to the plant being juvenile, but i don't have good feelings regarding the "Cosmo" id. Although I will freely admit to the probability of being completely wrong.

Recall that the leaves of the plant that I have have no keel and are serrated as well as being very thin.

But THANKS for the responses everyone. I appreciate it very much. And they are clues that I can use (a place where I can START), on my own as an aid to identification.

One more time... thanks everyone ... you are all just grand folk. People that I would be proud to know!