Succulent identification

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
aidanps

Succulent identification

Post by aidanps »

Hello,

I have purchased three small succulents from the UK store Wilko two months ago in the hope that I could grow them to a large size that some friends of mine have done.
They are growing well giving them 30ml of water every Sunday, placed out of direct sunlight.

I have looked through the website but cannot find a match for this one:
Image00001.jpg
Image00001.jpg (67.59 KiB) Viewed 506 times
I have included a picture of two more that I purchased.
The long one has visibly grown as it is a lighter green towards the top but not as plump, but the button one looks like it has gone darker in colour and not grown much.
Image00003.jpg
Image00003.jpg (90.5 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Can you make any recommendations or should I keep going as is?

Many thanks,

Paul
Tofterigen

Re: Succulent identification

Post by Tofterigen »

Hi aidanps

No.2 and no.3 are cacti.

The lean growth of no.2 indicates a lack of sunlight! Place them at a location as bright as possible, or at least a much brighter one, if you live in tropical latitudes. If you put the plants outside, they have to be accustomed to the sun step by step, because they are no longer protected by the windows from the uv-component of the sunlight.

At least the second pot looks much too big. (danger of rotting)

The substate (at least the surface) looks completely unsuitable! -peat is bad, because it stores humidity too long and will support rotting of the roots.

Watering by volume and time is not a good strategy. Water yor plants thoroughly and wait until the substrate becomes dry again, then repeat! During the winter (cold, low light), most cacti should enter a state of hibernation with no or very limited watering. If you live in warmer regions, you may abstain from the dormation period.

Don't be discouraged! Ask your friends and search this forum or the web for further information!

Kind regards,
Tofterigen