Sempervivum ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ElieEstephane

Sempervivum ID

Post by ElieEstephane »

Hello guys,
I've had this little guy for more than 15 years. It withstands several feet of snow and many deep freezes without breaking a sweat and it sends out tiny rosettes on long stems and i've never seen it flower. I hope this info helps indentify the species.
Also the stem is getting too long and i dnt like how it looks. Do you think if i decapitate it and root the rosette the stem will produce new rosettes? I would love to have more of it. Tried leaf propagation but the leaf would only produce some kind of pinks "bumbs" but never roots orba plant.
Thank you.
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
One of the few cactus lovers in Lebanon (zone 11a) :mrgreen:
esp_imaging

Re: Sempervivum ID

Post by esp_imaging »

Looks a lot like "normal" S tectorum
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

esp_imaging wrote:Looks a lot like "normal" S tectorum
Any thoughts on propagation by stem cutting?
There are more cacti in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
majcka

Post by majcka »

Stem cutting??? It will produce ofsprings. Usually lots of them. I can't remebrer to heard about stem cutting with Sempervivum?! And if it flowers...it surely dies!
Maja

Strange is fun, cacti are funnier!
Google+
Flickr pics
Facebook

ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

majcka wrote:Stem cutting??? It will produce ofsprings. Usually lots of them. I can't remebrer to heard about stem cutting with Sempervivum?! And if it flowers...it surely dies!
Yeah i couldnt find any info about stem cutting. But the stem is 8 or 9 inches and it only seemed logical to take a cutting like i would do with my aeonium arboreum.
Thanks for your help
esp_imaging

Post by esp_imaging »

Yeah, I think beheading it will work. The stump will sprout and the head should root, hopefully with time to offset before it flowers and dies.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
ElieEstephane

Post by ElieEstephane »

esp_imaging wrote:Yeah, I think beheading it will work. The stump will sprout and the head should root, hopefully with time to offset before it flowers and dies.
Thanks a lot for this info.