Urgent Help Needed Identifying Succulent

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Powerade1985

Urgent Help Needed Identifying Succulent

Post by Powerade1985 »

Hello,

I need help identifying this succulent. As you can see it might not be around much longer (top heavy).

Firstly can someone identify the succulent?

Secondly what are my options in saving the plant I guess it's either repot or take a new cutting? If I use a cutting is there a guide I can use?

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew :)
Attachments
tmp_763-DSC_0012-22470106.JPG
tmp_763-DSC_0012-22470106.JPG (42.68 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
tmp_763-DSC_0013-469022652.JPG
tmp_763-DSC_0013-469022652.JPG (33.81 KiB) Viewed 2035 times
Aiko

Re: Urgent Help Needed Identifying Succulent

Post by Aiko »

Why do you need to know the name urgently? Are you dying?
Powerade1985

Post by Powerade1985 »

Thanks for the helpful reply [-X

As you can see from the picture the plant has become top heavy and is supported by sticks, without this support measure it would snap under its own weight. So unless I can save it by means of repotting or taking a cutting this plant will be going in the bin.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a guide for taking succulent cuttings or a care sheet for this particular succulent that would be most helpful.
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

Powerade1985 wrote:Thanks for the helpful reply [-X
The forum is already getting swamped by identification requests (by new members that probably disappear soon after an identification anyway). And if they are even pressuring us to put a name on it real quick, than that annoys me to high extent. Don't [-X me!
Powerade1985

Post by Powerade1985 »

Apologies, but it wasn’t helpful was it? You could have added your explanation in your original post and I wouldn’t have reacted.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

It's an Echeveria of some kind, given that the stem still has leaves I would personally just prop it more permanently. Otherwise, you can find instructions on cutting off the top etc. Certainly not bin worthy, if may even just bend rather than snap/topple/uproot.
Powerade1985

Post by Powerade1985 »

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you taking time to identify the family which my succulent maybe part of. I may end up doing both repotting and taking a cutting. If anyone else can pin point the name for this Succulent? I’m interested in reading up on it.

Many Thanks again :)
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

I'm far from an expert on succulents or cacti, but from what I have read you're unlikely to get much more detail because Echeveria have been extensively hybridised/cultivated by nurseries. Add to this the fact that many digital cameras don't show the true colour of the subject. So essentially, it probably isn't possible to be certain of what you have from a photograph (I could be wrong though).

Echeveria "Pearle von Numberg" is a popular hybrid, and although I'm fairly certain that isn't what you have, if you read up on in it should tell you how to look after yours. Of course yours may not be a hybrid/cultivar, but best treat it as if it is, as hybrids/cultivars are more delicate than the original species.

Edit: If you do cut the top off to re-plant, then stem will grow new heads. If you're not careful you can end up with hundreds of succulents if you plant every dropped leaf etc :lol:
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Yep - not only could you cut off the top and re-root it, they also grow from leaf cuttings. You just lay leaves on the surface of some growing medium and wait.
Spence :mrgreen:
Powerade1985

Post by Powerade1985 »

Thanks guys for your posts.

UPDATE: I ended up cutting the top off and suspending the stem so it just touches the soil. The stem has scabbed over nicely just waiting for some roots to show. As a backup I took some leaf cuttings and placed them into a Windowsill Propagator in the sun and spraying water every so often.

Any tips would be welcomed :D
Attachments
2016-09-04 09.40.45.jpg
2016-09-04 09.40.45.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
miss_taken_identity

Post by miss_taken_identity »

I find if you can take a picture of the flowers it can really help with IDing them
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Keep the cuttings out of direct sun, otherwise you're doing fine.
Spence :mrgreen:
Powerade1985

Post by Powerade1985 »

Thanks greenknight :)
WayneByerly
Location: In the north end of the Sequachee Valley, 65 miles north of Chattanooga Tennessee USA. Zone 7a

Post by WayneByerly »

Aiko wrote:
Powerade1985 wrote:Thanks for the helpful reply [-X
The forum is already getting swamped by identification requests (by new members that probably disappear soon after an identification anyway). And if they are even pressuring us to put a name on it real quick, than that annoys me to high extent. Don't [-X me!
One of the things that I love about this forum is the fact that people are SO friendly, and SO helpful and SO willing to give of their time to help other people out. Your snobby remarks about "forum is already getting swamped" were unfriendly, unhelpful, ugly and unnecessary. If that is all you can produce, then I am extremely disappointed and maybe you should just avoid making these kinds of comments. If it annoys you that people are asking for ID's (which to my eye is part of this forums function) then just ignore them and don't inflict your rage and rancor on those coming here for help, expecting decent behavior.

if anybody agrees with this comment, please ... make some similar comment. if, however, you think MY opinion regarding this persons behavior sucks, then let me hear that too.
Make the moral choice & always do what's right. Be a good example. Be part of the solution & make a contribution to society, or be part of the problem & end your life with nothing but regrets. Live a life you can be proud of! Zone 7a
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

I am getting annoyed by an identification request PLUS the fact that it is asked by a new member that likely will disappear soon and do not contribute PLUS in this case being pressured by stating an ID is needed urgently.

I think I am entitled to express my thoughts about these sort of three-folded forum "additions", which I have done so in very normal words, without using strong words like you have just been using, such as "snobby", "ugly", "rage", "rancor" and "sucks".

If you look up my close to a thousand messages in the last few years, you might see this is probably the only one where I have done so in this matter. So you don't have to be "extremely disappointed". If you look up the history of Powerade1985, you will see all six messages have only been part of this thread in two months time without any further contributions, which supports my thoughts.

Being helpful is one thing, which I do a lot up here. Being pressured to be put to work to identify a plant of someone that (probably) is only coming by for that one reason, is something totally different. I feel this is taking advantage of the helpfulness of many others here. I think I am entitled to express my unhappiness about it for once. I don't think it was "unnecessary". Or should one just put up with everything, you think?