A pair of succulents to ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Grimm

A pair of succulents to ID

Post by Grimm »

Hi, first message from me:)

I rescued these two succulents from an abandoned greenhouse a couple of months ago, both were looking quite different then! I've failed miserably to find out what they are, using the internet, even though they look very familiar.

This one looked like a house leek (Sempervivum) at first and had lots of dead leaves, but now the crown has opened up and the leaves puffed up. The closest ID I can find is that it may be some kind of Orostachys, because of the points on the leaves. The shoots appear to be young plants, rather than flowers, but I'm not 100%:

This second one was part of a bunch of densely clustered little crowns, I picked the best one and gave it some decent compost (it was in some ancient John Innes). The crown has opened up massively, it has put out a huuge spike/stem, and two young plants have already started to grow out of the base.

iann

Re: A pair of succulents to ID

Post by iann »

Second one looks like one of the big Anacampseros, A. telephiastrum or A. rufescens. It is slightly etiolated but it is nearly always a floppy or trailing plant.
--ian
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

iann wrote:Second one looks like one of the big Anacampseros, A. telephiastrum or A. rufescens. It is slightly etiolated but it is nearly always a floppy or trailing plant.
I can see what you mean, but I'm not sure. It also looks a little like a Dudleya, but still not right, or possibly one of the more obscure Sedums. I think I'll have to wait until its settled more, or its pups grow. I had it in a well lit window, but have put it outside in good light for the rest of the summer.

I forgot to say, the first one has fat leaves that also have some hair/fuzz on them. Again, I think I'll have to wait until it settles or its pups grow. As well as looking a little like an Orostachys it also looks a little like a Rosularia :-k
miss_taken_identity

Post by miss_taken_identity »

The first one looks like an orostachys to me, the flower will certainly confirm what it is though
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

miss_taken_identity wrote:The first one looks like an orostachys to me, the flower will certainly confirm what it is though
Thanks, but after asking on the BCSS Facebook page, I think I've identified it as some kind of monstrous Sempervivum, probably tectorum "Fame Monstrose" :)
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Back to the second one - When I found it the pot was full of little rosettes, one I potted up and the rest I shoved into the gravel in my garden to see what they did. I thought the garden ones had all been eaten by slugs and snails, but saw that one had not just survived, but thrived, today! To say it looks different to the potted one is to put things mildly! Any ideas now?

greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looks even more like an Anacampseros.
Spence :mrgreen:
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Thanks again Greenknight, the only thing that puts me off is that I can't find an Anacampseros with concave leaves, they're all either round or flat-topped :-k
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Looking at the second one, the leaves seem to be losing that concave shape when they mature. I think it's A. rufescens.
Spence :mrgreen:
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

The one I'm keeping inside is getting ready to flower:

The one outside has, so far, resisted the frosts (although they have been very light so far)
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

This seems to be as much as it wants to open them, at least in this weather:

To me it is clearly a Crassulaceae of some kind, but I still don't know what.
Brontosaurus

Post by Brontosaurus »

Grimm wrote: Image
I think this might be an Echeveria. It looks a little like Silver Spoons. Maybe a hybrid of Silver Spoons and something else.
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

Brontosaurus wrote:
Grimm wrote: Image
I think this might be an Echeveria. It looks a little like Silver Spoons. Maybe a hybrid of Silver Spoons and something else.
I've identified that one as a montrous Sempervivium tectorum, though I'm not sure what variant. Apparently only Semps put out their offsets on long trailers/branches like that. Thanks though :)
Grimm

Post by Grimm »

The unidentified one has changed growth form/pattern again! The inset shows the flowers, which it has been producing since mid Jan, although they have gone from having green sepals to red-dotted ones.

Orion Drakkar

Post by Orion Drakkar »

The unidentified Looks like Sinocrassula densirosulata