Grade my IDs, please!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Johnny Wobble

Grade my IDs, please!

Post by Johnny Wobble »

I think I've IDed most of my plants, wanna let me know how I did? I'll have a few questions along the way too...
(intro thread if you're interested in more background http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... 26&t=37695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

These were mostly plants I rescued from abuse and / or neglect or came from a grocery store clearance rack, so no labels or info came with them.

Aloes

Plain ole aloe vera?

Ikea label said Walmsley's, it was misspelled if I remember correct. It's growing several pups.

Ikea tag said "sunrise", so some hybrid I assume. Growing one little tiny pup.

Crassulas

Muscosa, these were scattered bits still living amongst the dead in random pots. New growth is showing. Will these sprout more main branches from the ground?

Gollum, from a clearance mixed pot.

Rupestris? Or ovata? Not sure. These didn't get a lot of light before I got them, are they stretched? Is it normal to bud around the leaf stems?

Echevarias

Runyonii, is that tall branch normal? or is that gonna flower? It's got a baby too. A couple of these from the clearance pots.

Some kinda hybrid I assume. From the pots again.

Gasteria, not sure exactly which kind. It's bumpy and appears to be a prolific mother. There must be a dozen good sized, 3 leaved babies. From the pots.

Kalanchoe Tubiflora, the only plant I've bought. 5 bucks at Home Depot. Hadn't noticed one of them there before, so had to get it. :D

Opuntia / Prickly Pears, not sure exactly which. Originally rooted from pads collected on a farm locally. 3 plants have been split up to reproduce. They're going in the ground one day.

I've got a few that I'm not sure about the ID on and some that are in rough shape. I could use some input on them, so I'll get pics and add later, but... am I right on all these?

Thanks!
esp_imaging

Re: Grade my IDs, please!

Post by esp_imaging »

Crassula muscosa looks good, based on not-amazing photos of rather stressed plants - it's very common so a good bet. There are a few sort-of-similar but less common species that it may possibly be, but are much less likely.
Gollum is corect.
C. rupestris is possible, it's def. not ovata! Better photos would help. Branching at the base is typical, maybe especially prolific if given a rich (too rich) soil , and plenty of water.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

C. rupestris looks likely to me.

The Gasteria is probably Gasteria carinata var. verrucosa, aka Gasteria verrucosa . Yes, very prolific - I got a start from a friend years ago, now I have lots of them. Give it some sun and it will develop attractive leaf coloration and more likely display its weird flowers. Thrives on neglect - grow it hard and you're less likely to get ugly black blotches on the leaves.
Spence :mrgreen:
Johnny Wobble

Post by Johnny Wobble »

thanks!
Johnny Wobble

Post by Johnny Wobble »

seedum of some kind? are these leaves just sunburnt?

echevaria of some kind? this one got way too little sun at one point, then a lot. should i just cut the tops off and root them? if i chop the branches, will buds grow out where cut?

echevaria prolifera? sunburnt?

50 cent plants, seedums?
left one, i'll probably just root some leaves and scrap the rest.
2nd from the left, i'll probably root the top piece and the leaves since it's lost all the leaves on one side.
3rd, with only one leaf. if i cut the tips of the branches, will new buds grow, to make it like a little tree?
4th one isn't too bad, i'll probably add it to a community rehab pot for now. i don't have a ton of space, so i'm using a wide, shallow pot for all the rooting leaves, cuttings and struggling plants.