Aloe identification

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
sevenleggdspider

Aloe identification

Post by sevenleggdspider »

I have three distinct aloe plants, two of which I am sure are aloes but am not sure what type. The third resembles some aloes though may be a different type of succulent. Any help identifying them to their specific taxonomy would be wonderful. I am especially interested in identification as I am enthusiastic about using plants for their medicinal purposes, the faster growing aloe would be great to use for skin therapies, but I wanted to make sure it was safe for that purpose.

The first plant (Aloe 1 in the images), is a fast growing aloe. I got it as a small pup from a friend (3 leaves of about 5 inches) just over 9 months ago and it has quickly become a large plant of about 16 leaves, the largest of which is about 15 inches long now. It has produced over ten pups in that same time and they also have reached quite a large size. I have also attached a photo of the two smallest pups which I transferred to a new pot. The original pot it quite full now and it may be harder to see the specific features of the plant.
Aloe 1
Aloe 1
20160429_111844.jpg (61.44 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Pups Aloe 1
Pups Aloe 1
20160429_112044.jpg (71.11 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
The second aloe is much slower growing, it was a gift from a friend over two years ago and has only added three leaves in that time, the longest of which is just shy of an 1.5 inches.
Aloe 2
Aloe 2
20160429_111923.jpg (58.3 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
The final plant, possibly an aloe, is also slower to grow and has not changed significantly in size over the last year, other than some of its bottom leaves seem to have widened and extended their shape over time but has not added new ones. Its largest leaf is about 7 inches.
Succulent, aloe?
Succulent, aloe?
20160429_112001.jpg (51.04 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Thank you for your help,

K
adetheproducer

Re: Aloe identification

Post by adetheproducer »

Number 2 looks like aloe variegata but seems like it could do with a little more light.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The first one is the common Aloe vera - medicinal Aloe.

Agreed that the second one is Aloe variegata, and that it needs more light. May also be over-potted - mine seems to thrive when it's a bit root-bound. Check the root system, if it hasn't filled that pot, it might benefit from a smaller one.

The third is also an Aloe - I'm sure I've seen that one, but I can't recall the name.
Spence :mrgreen:
sevenleggdspider

Post by sevenleggdspider »

Thank you both so much for your help in this! I've put the Aloe variegata into a sunnier window, and am so happy to learn that the other is a true aloe. It's such a beautiful plant so glad it'll be medicinally useful as well! I may have identified the spikier one as Aloe Aculeata, though not 100% the colour and leaf shape looks right. Thanks again! :)
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Aloe aculeata, that's the name I couldn't think of! Yes, I'm sure that's correct.
Spence :mrgreen:
obligo

Post by obligo »

aloe vera, aloe variegata, aloe ferox?
Cacti are the most beautiful strangers