Need an agave(?) ID

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Riches

Need an agave(?) ID

Post by Riches »

This has always been an agave since it was planted about ten years ago. How disappointing, then, when it finally bloomed with puny spikes from the base rather than a cool spear 15' tall. I've survived the let-down and now want to know what it actually is.
It originally came from TX, long ago, brought back to Roanoke, VA from a vacation. It has thrived here, surviving a couple of recent winters with a few days at a few degrees below 0F, and pupped abundantly.
My references don't show an agave that flowers like this. I'd tentatively thought it to be A. neomexicana. Maybe it isn't an agave?
My agave flowering
My agave flowering
Agave flower A.jpg (317.14 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
first appearing flower
first appearing flower
Agave flower B.jpg (118.6 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
The opened flower
The opened flower
Agave flower C.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
esp_imaging

Re: Need an agave(?) ID

Post by esp_imaging »

The "puny spikes" may just be a warm up for the main event - check the centre of the main rosette to see if there is anything unusual going on.
A small diverse collection of Cacti & Succulents
Based in the UK
http://www.edwardshaw.co.uk/cacti
Riches

Post by Riches »

Perhaps. I can hope, but the pics were taken last year and I see no sign now of a central spike. I'll keep an eye on it this summer.
I gather that nobody has seen this kind of thing before?
Melt In The Sun

Post by Melt In The Sun »

It happens sometimes. Usually it immediately precedes the main flowering event, but not always (obviously!). It's not A. neomexicana - looks like A. havardiana from here.
Riches

Post by Riches »

A. havardiana, eh. I'll see if I can find what the differences are between that and A. neomexicana. Either one would be good to have, especially if it blooms like and agave. Thanks.
Riches

Post by Riches »

esp_imaging and Melt in the Sun, you called it. My agave, that last year put out multiple small spikes from the base, is spiking like it means it as I had expected. This pic show it this morning. I'm still not sure just what agave it is - havardina or neomexicana, but it doesn't make a lot of difference now. I'll enjoy it whatever it is.
Riches
Attachments
my agave this morning
my agave this morning
AgaveSpike160507.jpg (75.04 KiB) Viewed 1169 times