Another Lithops ID please

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
kikithor

Another Lithops ID please

Post by kikithor »

I've been searching for lithops for the last year and I finally found some! So I bought them all of course >.<

Now is taking car of lithops as easy as other succulents? I'm afraid I'm gonna kill these and never find them again
iann

Re: Another Lithops ID please

Post by iann »

The two biggest ones are L. aucampiae. The grey one is presumably ssp euniceae var fluminalis. Its twin *might* be ssp euniceae var euniceae. The slightly smaller pair also looks like L. aucampiae.

The others could all be L. salicola, so you've got some with yellow flowers and some woth white :)

Lithops are easy to take care of. You just put them in full sun and leave them dry until perhaps May. Simples :) After that, you might have difficulty. They probably need to be repotted into a free-draining soil that will make them easier to manage and less likely to bloat. And then transition them from factory-fed porkies into something that won't rot the first time it sees water. These are amongst the toughest of Lithops: frost-hardy; difficult to scorch; and tolerant of being watered too much. They do have a tendency to grab hold of too much water and not let go, but all Lithops do that. A greenhouse helps to bake them and dry them out, but you can do it in a sunny window too.
--ian
kikithor

Post by kikithor »

Perfect thank you! I really wanted some white flowered ones (the yellow remind me of dandelions lol) but I'll love the yellow ones too :)
kikithor

Post by kikithor »

So the dark brown one isn't doing well... it was slightly wrinkled when I got it but now after pushing some of the dirt away I see that the base is completely shriveled :(
is there anything I can do to save it?
C And D

Post by C And D »

If it looks dark green and gooey, then you have rot
If it's penetrated the meristem (just above the root) then it's too far gone
and you might as well throw it away

If the meristem is OK, then the plant may be OK and come back in the Spring,
you can peel off the dead tissue and a new body will be there and ready to go,
or not peel it off, but keep it dry and it will dry and form a sheath.
Check out our plant and seed lists
http://www.CandDplants.com

Craig and Denise Fry
kikithor

Post by kikithor »

It's bright green and dry as bone
right above the root is shriveled and looks dead qq