Plant found along the Arizona-California border

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
tumamoc

Plant found along the Arizona-California border

Post by tumamoc »

I saw this interesting plant along both sides of the lower Colorado River in Arizona and California near Parker, AZ. Any ideas? It may not even be a succulent. Perhaps a type of milk weed?
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG (63.37 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
IMG_1167.JPG
IMG_1167.JPG (31.54 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
Note: edited to correct title of post.
Last edited by tumamoc on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saxicola

Re: Plant found along the Arizona-Colorado border

Post by Saxicola »

I was really confused at first as Arizona and Colorado's border is literally a point. But I think you mean the AZ-CA border along the Colorado River. That distinction is important as I think it is Asclepias erosa (Desert Milkweed) which would be along the AZ-CA border but not the four corners area.

Did you happen to go looking for Saguaro's in that area? The only Saguaros that make it into California are one or two small populations near there. More interesting from a distribution standpoint than a true rarity one as they are weeds in AZ.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
tumamoc

Re: Plant found along the Arizona-California border

Post by tumamoc »

Oops. You're right. I corrected the title. Thanks. I did see a handful of saguaros on the Calif. side. Probably only about 10 per square mile. They looked pretty pathetic, actually. I mean they were stunted, more cone shaped at the top, and had stubby arms (when present).