Help IDing some succulents (2 posts in one! :))

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
forests-of-fire

Help IDing some succulents (2 posts in one! :))

Post by forests-of-fire »

I have a friend who's just getting into succulents and is trying to ID them. I'm still a novice, so I can't say for sure what they are, so I thought I'd ask here.

Plant 1:

Plant 2:

She's a bit worried that she might be overwatering this plant, since the main part of it is starting to turn yellow. She'd like to know if that's the case, so she can correct the problem before it gets too bad. :)

Thanks!
forests-of-fire

Re: Help IDing some succulents (2 posts in one! :))

These are mine. I'm trying to save them after they were overwatered, but I can't pin down what they are for sure. Sorry the images are crappy -- I only have my camera phone at the moment. If you need more info, just ask.

1. Image

I'm pretty sure this one is a hen-and-chicks, since it had a couple offsets when I bought it. The pic doesn't show it at all, but the leaves are purple-tipped towards the bottom. I'm not sure if this is normal or just because of the overwatering situation.

It's also VERY umbrella shaped and it was really difficult to get it out of the pot because of how tightly the leaves were locked together.

2. Image

Not sure about this one. Half the leaves fell off when I transplanted it out of the teapot that didn't have drainage in it. :(

3. Image

This one looks really, really similar to Plant B, except it's tall and skinny. The leaves don't fall off nearly as easily as they did with Plant B.

Some air plants I bought! One of these went in the teapot that the first 3 were in, since I didn't want to worry about water getting stuck in the bottom of the pot. I've already given them their first soak and gotten them settled in. The one on the left is very bulbous, while the one on the right has very stiff, thin, and sharp needles.

If you could help me, I'd appreciate it! Thanks. :)
pgpanayotov

Post by pgpanayotov »

Hello,

Here is a short ID with the genera only:
Post 1 plant 1: Echeveria
Post 1 plant 2: Sedum
Post 2 plant 1: Sempervivum
Post 2 plant 2: Sedum
Post 2 plant 3: xPachysedum
Post 2 plant 4: Chlorophytum
I will post longer description and ID.
Please make more and closer detailed photos.
Please post the sizes of the plants.

Kind regards,
PETAR PANAYOTOV
forests-of-fire

I'll see if my friend can get better pics. :) I'm a bit worried about her echeveria -- it looks a bit tall. Could it be getting etiolated?

As far as mine go:

The sempervivium in post 2 (plant 1) is about 3" (7.6cm) wide. It was a bit wider before all the leaves folded under - Maybe .5" (1cm?)? I can't get a good pic of the underbelly without completely unpotting it, but the tips of the lower leaves are a pale purple.

The second plant in the second post was about 3.5" (8.8 cm) before half the leaves fell off.

Here's a closeup of the leaves, as best as I can get without pulling them off.

The plant in the third pic of the second post had to be clipped because it had some weird brown spots in random spots. I do have a buttload of pics of the stem and leaves though, since I'm going to attempt to root them. The plant was about 6" (15cm) tall.

Crappy, CRAPPY close ups of the leaves.

Some closeups of the remaining stem.

I remembered that I do have pics of the plants as they originally came, in the teapot. So here they are. :)

A close up of the second plant in the second post, with a side shot of the sempervivium before it became an umbrella.

(And a shot of what I think was a pachyphytum hookeri on the left, but I lost it. :()

An overhead shot of all the plants.

The ones in 4 are air plants, according to the nursery. And my mum had spider plants when I was growing up, so I'm pretty sure it's not a spider plant.

Here are some closer pics.

Closeup of my 1st plant's bulb. It's got a very soft silver fur on it that disappears when you mist it.

Another (crappy - sorry :() pic of the bulb.

This one's about 5" (12cm) long.

The second one is about 6.5" (16.5cm) long. The leaves are very, very stiff and SHARP.

I don't know if any of this will help. :oops: My flip phone's camera really sucks and I don't have access to a better camera. :(
pgpanayotov

Post by pgpanayotov »

Hello,

Sure the last plant (post 2 plant 4) is not chlorophytum.
I was confused by the picture for sure now I see a plant that i will have to lookup more detailed.

Here, more details about the sempervivum:
It looks like Sempervivum Tectorum Tectorum.
It is in bad condition.
Normally it has reddish-purple tip and it is geting it when it receives the proper amount of sunlight.
The lowel leaves are downward curved due to less then the normal amount of sunlight.
It is normally an outdoors plant. If you have the chance put it outside on open sunlight and fresh air.
The recommended media (soil) mix is 1/2 perlit + 1/2 garden soil (non-acidic), or any fine grained stones (1 - 3 mm) and brown/black mountin soil.
It grows natively on high level mountine terain.
For the size of this particular plant 60 - 100 ml per 3 - 4 days is normal watering for the warm and sunny part of the year. During the cold and dark time 40 - 80 ml per 7 days is ok.
It likes humid air or morning dew in the begining of the day. You could just spray it with pulverizer with very jentle amount of water.

Kind regards,
PETAR PANAYOTOV
forests-of-fire

Yeah, the first picture of those plants was a crappy pic. So it was my fault. :)

Thank you for all the information. And, yeah, I know it's in bad shape. :( The teapot it was originally in was didn't have a drainage hole, so I overwatered it and the others in the teapot. I've re-potted it and moved it over to the kitchen window, which gets strong morning light. It's as close to the window as it can be. Unfortunately, that's probably the best spot we have for it. :( Hopefully, it'll perk up. I'll try to put it on our back porch in the mornings to help it get the sun it needs.

(As an aside: How long should I wait until I water a plant that's been repotted?)
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

1st post, plants 1. & 2. Echeveria 'Perle von Nurnberg' & Sedum clavatum (yes, watered too much).
Rosemarie
forests-of-fire

Thank you for the info! I'll pass it on. :)
pgpanayotov

Post by pgpanayotov »

Hello,

You could water the sempervivum after not more than 7 days and not less than 4.
Pot should be very well drained. With normal watering and sunlight it will recover fast.
Part of the leaves will try to recurve upward, but they will not do it in 100%.
The new leaves will be normal. If the plant is with hard and firm leaves than it is ok with the water and the soil.
If you see the reddish-purple tip then it is ok with the sun.

Kind regards,
PETAR PANAYOTOV
pgpanayotov

Post by pgpanayotov »

Hello,

Rest of the leveas the have been detached from any of these plants could be used as new-plant-starters.
Put them aside on a dry dish for 6 - 8 days on mid-ligth. They will hopefully produce small roots.
Pot them in small pots very carefully or just place them over proper soil mix (like the one for sempervivum).
They will root-in the soil and start producing new rosets. Succulents are very stable and easy to recover.

Kind regards,
PETAR PANAYOTOV
forests-of-fire

Thank you for all the info, Petar! Some of the leaves are already starting to turn up, but it's good to know that I can't expect the whole thing to perk up. The bottom leaves are purple, so hopefully it's getting enough sun. Especially since I don't have anywhere else to put it that gets good bright sun!

Yeah, I'm going to try to root what I saved from the tall plant. I have the leaves and cuttings drying right now and am probably going to put them in my 2:1 perlite to soil mix at the end of this week. Hopefully, they'll take!