Aloe vera species identification ?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hometuff

Aloe vera species identification ?

Post by hometuff »

Hi, this Aloe Vera belonged to my grandmother from 40 - 50 years ago, we live on long island, they are house plants in containers. and in 40 years I've had them, I have never seen them bloom.

Can someone help me with the SPECIES of Aloe Vera plant that is in this pic, it's the biggest of the plants I have--about a foot tall--They have little tiny spikes on them and little white spots on the leaves/ stalks Thanks for any help.
Attachments
IMG_0292.JPG
IMG_0292.JPG (40.77 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Saxicola

Re: Aloe vera species identification ?

Post by Saxicola »

That Aloe vera is... Aloe vera!

Aloe is the genus, and Aloe vera is just one of around 500 species of Aloe. However, that appears to be the plant you have. That's not surprising as it is the most commonly cultivated species. It doesn't bloom for you probably because it doesn't get enough light and is too small. I only say that in relation to blooming as it seems to be healthy enough looking for a house plant.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Aloe vera var. chinensis.
Rosemarie
hometuff

Post by hometuff »

Thank you very much Saxicola and Rosemarie for your responses.. Being too small was my theory too.

Rosemarie, it does look like the Aloe vera var. chinensis.--- from what limited reading I did, this is only 1 of a few genus / species of Aloe Vera that have medicinal properties ??, is this correct ?
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Yes, I believe so, Homestuff. :)
Rosemarie
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

There are a few other medicinal Aloes like A. ferox and A. perryi, but you should only use A. vera unless you are very familiar with other Aloes. The reason is that some species are actually poisonous.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants