Help ID this Wavy-Leafed Agave (?) Thanks!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
acowan

Help ID this Wavy-Leafed Agave (?) Thanks!

Post by acowan »

Hello,

Thanks in advance for taking a look at this. I've found photos and seen these nice plants in the field. I would like to buy my own but I don't know enough to ID them for a nursery or even the folks that help me with landscape. So, my goal is to get an actionable identifier so I can go find these on the open market (here in SF Bay area).

I think (def. not sure) that it may be a cross between agave attenuata and ggave shawii called 'blue flame'. However, following that notion, I found that even w/in the blue flame category there are a lot of variations. For instance, looking here I see 7:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Photo-Gall ... ted-Agave/

Sadly, none of those obviously matched my target (though the photos are small and from a specific angle and one thing I notice about my 2nd two photos is that you can't always see the waviness in the leaves from right up close).

Anyway, if you have any ideas, thanks in advance. I can link to higher res. version of the images if that helps.
comparable for succulent
comparable for succulent
agave-lav-comp-500k.png (373.32 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
agave-1
agave-1
agave-snap-1-500k.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
agave-2
agave-2
agave-snap-sml.jpg (384.75 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
Rosemarie

Re: Help ID this Wavy-Leafed Agave (?) Thanks!

Post by Rosemarie »

Before reading all that you wrote ~glancing at the pix, first thing that came to mind was Agave 'Blue Flame'. If that isn't it, I'm sorry I don't know what it is.
Rosemarie
GermanStar

Post by GermanStar »

+1 on 'Blue Flame'.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".
eduart

Post by eduart »

I have seen a very similar Agave (if not identical) at Alfriston Botanic Gardens in Auckand labelled Agave 'Broughton's Blue'.