kalanchoe humilis?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
ShaheerNiazi

kalanchoe humilis?

Post by ShaheerNiazi »

is it it?

greenknight

Re: kalanchoe humilis?

Post by greenknight »

Sure looks like it.
Spence :mrgreen:
ShaheerNiazi

Post by ShaheerNiazi »

I have summers which go up to 115F, will I need special care for this? or i should keep it inside somewhere?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

It's said to prefer some shade, though it can take full sun - in that kind of heat, a little shade would definitely be advisable. They're tough plants, though. Does fine in Arizona, so it clearly can take heat.
ShaheerNiazi

Post by ShaheerNiazi »

Why do I hear so much worry from people around my area that i need to take extra care in watering and everything and that these months of summer are the most dangerous for them??
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Some plants are subject to heat dormancy - they shut down when it gets too hot, don't grow or take up water. People assume that plants need a lot of water in hot weather, but if they've gone dormant you could kill them with over-watering. Water only when the soil gets dry, you should be ok.
ShaheerNiazi

Post by ShaheerNiazi »

which means water once every 2 or 3 weeks?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

No, it means observe what's going on. Stick your finger down into the soil as far as you can and feel if it's dry. If that's not possible, look under a rock - moisture can't evaporate from the surface there, so it will be damp there if there's much moisture in the pot. Look closely at the plants - do they appear to be growing?

As you get experience with your plants in the situation where they're growing, you'll find out how often they need water in various weather conditions. Nobody can give you a schedule, let the plants tell you. Be careful not to over-water, especially with plants that haven't grown into their pot yet.
ShaheerNiazi

Post by ShaheerNiazi »

ok, thanks :)