?some kind of aloe

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
chasbo

?some kind of aloe

Post by chasbo »

Hi, folks; stumbled upon the forum and hoping for help in identifying this [presumed] succulent. I first noted it when speeding along the road in a remote, arid section of the Big Island of Hawai‘i. What caught my attention were the bright red/orange flowers standing above the surrounding weeds. On my next trip through the area I pulled over for a closer look.

The plant is growing in, basically, crumbled lava, no real dirt; the mature, flowering ones stand 3+ feet tall, with the pictured blossoms; numerous babies surround the blossoming ones. Also pictured a baby one I brought home, to show the leaves. I know little about succulents (tho' I do have a 12 foot diameter, 6 foot high aloe vera in the yard) but assume from the 'leaves' that this is indeed a succulent. There are no leaves high up on the flowering ones, just around the base.

Also include the pic of what we call a panini cactus, grown from a discarded roadside cutting and what amazes me is that the new leaves/branches shown [and which are about 9 inches long] were not there three short weeks ago - i.e., they have grown from naught to 9 inches in that short time; amazing plants!

Thanks to anyone for your help; happy holidays!

Chas
Attachments
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG (70.04 KiB) Viewed 904 times
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg (50.95 KiB) Viewed 904 times
panini.jpg
panini.jpg (77.08 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Alpherg

Re: ?some kind of aloe

Post by Alpherg »

the second is a Kalanchoe daigremontiana and the first is the inflorescence.
chasbo

Post by chasbo »

Thank you so much! Now I can read up on it.
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

Alpherg wrote:the second is a Kalanchoe daigremontiana and the first is the inflorescence.
Nope, it is kalanchoë delagoensis
Last photo is opuntia(neochilenia or cochenillifera?)
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing
Alpherg

Post by Alpherg »

it's true! leaves is more tight and different, I did not know this
snarfie

Post by snarfie »

ofcourse ;) i've had almost all species of the bryophyllum family(easier to describe the ones that have offsets on the edges of the leaf, because that species were called bryophyllum a while ago, now it's all kalanchoë), only k. laetivirens is missing in my collection. i even had k x houghtonii
Young professional amateur in Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis growing and hybridizing