Help Please - Unknown Succulent

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
pcguru34

Help Please - Unknown Succulent

Post by pcguru34 »

I got this Succulent (I believe) as a gift from a relative and it is starting to die. Could someone please help me to identify it so that I can properly take care of this plant :D

The tab that came with the plant appears to be the wrong one.

Thanks for you help in advance.
Attachments
Plant ID Photo.jpg
Plant ID Photo.jpg (107.05 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
Saxicola

Re: Help Please - Unknown Succulent

Post by Saxicola »

Definitely and Aloe, possibly Aloe ferox. That thing has been spray painted red. The good news is it will grow out of it eventually. The bad news is it may take a couple years before new leaves have fully replaced the red ones.

Water sparingly but don't let it stay dried out for too long either. Where do you live? If you live in a warmer climate (zone 9b or above) you should grow it outside year round. If you are in a cold climate then it would benefit by being grown outside during the warmer months.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Beware of the spikes on the leaves piercing the upper leaves, if the spikes puncture the flesh it will seep fluid and die off, i usually shove a piece of perlite between the spike and the Flesh of the upper leaf if it's to close, very sad someone spray painted it :(
I would repot it in sifted (thru grate or a small pots holes) of Cacti&Succulent mix and perlite (50/50) for better drainage and to help it dry out faster soo it doesn't die or get root rot, Goodluck
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

KittieKAT wrote:Beware of the spikes on the leaves piercing the upper leaves, if the spikes puncture the flesh it will seep fluid and die off, i usually shove a piece of perlite between the spike and the Flesh of the upper leaf if it's to close, very sad someone spray painted it :(
Really, a plant that hurts itself? Up to the point it dies off? Or just the occasional dying leaf?
That is a stupid thing to do for a plant isn't it. (or for any other living thing really) Is that natural or a result of selective breeding gone wrong?
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

I got one of these with out the poor graffiti art work, it doers poke holes in its self but no bad consequences no rot or nasty marks, it tends to only affect the old leaves anyway which are quickly replaced by the new central growth.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

It's just the one leave that will die off if punctured not the whole plant, you'll just have to remove the leave after it dies it will grow another so no biggie, aloes and other succulents are known to loose their bottom leaves time to time. And i agree painting anything living is cruel, without its permission, of course lol
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

And that's ONLY if its a deep puncture not a small pin prick like adetheproducer is talking about, but i stick perlite inbetween the plant leaf and spike reguardless now lol, the poor dear has already done it to itself twice and then had one leaf that was deflated where the puncture was but fat everywhere else, until the leave eventually died off a while later. Goodluck with this guy
pcguru34

Post by pcguru34 »

Thanks everyone for your input/replies. I can't believe that it has been spray painted?!?!? My relatives informed me that they got it in this condition from Home Depot. They certainly wouldn't have done it and I wouldn't have either. My guess is somebody wanted to make it more attractive and/or more unusual so that it got sold quicker and/or for more money (I'm guessing the latter is most likely).

Thanks again!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

That's usually why they do that, u can go to any market baskets plant section and see there various spray painted succulents an cacti...Soo stupid