red succulent

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
BeauRog

red succulent

Post by BeauRog »

Hello,
I received this succulent as a gift. I would love to have a name, and if possible, some care instructions. I brought it in for the winter, and all the "leaves" sprouted roots. It's in two pieces thanks to a shelf collapsing in the green house.
Thank you,
Beau
20141023_163504.jpg
20141023_163504.jpg (77.8 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
20140923_181841.jpg
20140923_181841.jpg (52.64 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
HairyHarry

Re: red succulent

Post by HairyHarry »

Kalanchoe Delagoensis syn. Tubiflora

Care is easy. Treat it like you would treat a crassula.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

I agree with Harry. I find it wants to keep growing up straight on the one stem, so if you'd ever like it to branch and be a fuller plant you can cut off the top at the level you like. That will force it to send out new, usually multiple, branches. You can plant the top too and it will root easily. I might wait until spring to do that though as it will be slowing down its growth for the winter.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
BeauRog

Post by BeauRog »

Thank you for the ID and care instructions. I thought it was a Kalanchoe given all the plantlets growing on it. Gravity loped the top of the plant off for me. The top rooted and the bottom grew three branches. Should I remove the plantlets? Will they cause any harm to the parent plant?
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

That's just the way it grows, no need to remove the plantlets.
Spence :mrgreen:
HP22B

Post by HP22B »

This will spread everywhere if you let it, it roots very easily and gets brittle as it gets taller so there are constantly pups growing around them in the wild.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Mine keeps loosing its bottom branches, first i thought over watering so i stopped watering it deeply every so often, but they still died off so then i tried watering it lightly instead, but still loses its branches at the bottom :(
I've actually grown its little seed flower things at the top and they are finally starting to resemble the mother plant, but still got flat leaves not tubular, but it's getting their. But the mother plant seems set on losing its bottom leaves for whatever reason...(??)