What is this stinky beauty??

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
wbruan

What is this stinky beauty??

Post by wbruan »

Hi guys!

Any idea what this could be?

I always viewed it as one of my drabbest succulents, but this morning I woke up to this beautiful flower, with more forming!

It smells a bit funky, though.

I would really appreciate help with an ID!
Attachments
mystery_succulent.JPG
mystery_succulent.JPG (57.15 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
HairyHarry

Re: What is this stinky beauty??

Post by HairyHarry »

Orbea Variegata.

Orbea is now the official name, but is has long been considered a stapelia. When you google it, the names are still all over the place. It is indeed a plant to grow for the flowers.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

It stinks because it is pollinated by flies, not bees. Flies like to find rotting meat to lay their eggs and this mimics that. The flies crawl around on it and when doing so pollinate the flower. The flies end up empty handed though as the only thing they get is the smell. I've even had them lay eggs and have maggots crawl around for a day before eventually dying because of a lack of food. That may gross some people out but I'm a biologist so I find it fascinating.

By the way, I agree with Harry's ID.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

Considering Saxicola's addition, I keep this plant because it reminds me of one of the most extraordinary plants around: Rafflesia arnoldii, supposedly the biggest flower around. Google or wikipedia it if you don't know it, you'll appreciate your orbea even more.

(to be honest, I don't know if they are actually biologically related)
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Stapelia and Rafflesia are as far apart as roses and dandelions. The similarity in appearance is an example of convergent disallowed - see forum rules - where two very different plants (or animals) come to have similarities because of their similar life habits.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Heh, you didn't know about that strange rule on this forum, did you? I discovered it a month or two after I joined. I decided that I liked the forum enough overall that I just bit my tongue and learned to live with it.

You may find this interesting: http://cactiguide.com/aboutme/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Read the last section of that page.
HairyHarry

Post by HairyHarry »

Well, that aspect of the forum is new to me. I'll bite my tongue as well and leave it at that. (After saying thank you to One windowsill, that's good to know, and doesn't harm the link I make in my mind:))

In the amsterdam Hortus the succulent greenhouse is divided into two sections. New world vs old world succulents. They placed the plants in such a fashion that similar looking plants are opposite each other, despite never having 'met' in the wild. Whatever one's view, it is a wonderfull way to look at, and be amazed by, the succulent world.

(0k, that was a bit off-topic)
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

Tongue-biting all round. 8)
Tom Roach

Post by Tom Roach »

One Windowsill wrote:Stapelia and Rafflesia are as far apart as roses and dandelions. The similarity in appearance is an example of convergent disallowed - see forum rules - where two very different plants (or animals) come to have similarities because of their similar life habits.
The similarity in appearance is an example of convergent what, disallowed - see forum rules?
Is disallowed - see forum rules a four letter word, as it were?
Tom Roach

Post by Tom Roach »

Wow, I guess e v o l u t i o n is a bad word!
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Yep, did you see my post and follow the link I provided? It will explain a lot about the admin of the website. He used to post a lot and is actually a pretty nice guy. While I strongly disagree with his view on the issue, it is his website so he has the right to do what he wants with it, and I respect that.